Argentine professional footballer Faustino Marcos Alberto Rojo (born 20 March 1990) plays as a defender for Boca Juniors and the Argentina national team. In 2009, he won the Copa Libertadores with local club Estudiantes de La Plata, played in the FIFA Club World Cup Final later that year, and won the Primera Division in 2010. He joined Sporting CP in 2012 from Spartak Moscow and two years later transferred to Manchester United for £16 million.
In 2015-16 he won the FA Cup, EFL Cup, and UEFA Europa League with the English club; in 2016-17 he won the FA Community Shield, EFL Cup, and UEFA Europa League. He returned to Estudiantes in January 2020 on loan before joining Boca Juniors on a permanent basis in February 2021. In 2011, Rojo made his first appearance for Argentina, and he has since earned over 60 caps. He was part of the team that reached the FIFA World Cup final in 2014. He also finished runner-up in both 2015 and 2016 and competed in the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
Marcos Rojo Bio/Wiki
|Birth Name||Faustino Marcos Alberto Rojo|
|Age||33 (as in 2023) Years|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Pisces|
|Born Place||La Plata, Argentina|
|Date of Birth||20 March 1990|
|Residence||La Plata, Argentina|
|Home Town||La Plata, Argentina|
|Hobbies||Watching Movies, Horse Riding, Swimming|
|Mother's Name||Carlina Rojo|
|Father's Name||Marcos Rojo Sr.|
|Brother(s)||Franco Nicolás Rojo|
|Sister(s)||• Miceala Rojo|
• Noelia Rojo
• Sol Rojo
Marital Status, Wife and Children
|Children||Daughters- • Morena Rojo|
• Martina Rojo
• Name Not Available Of Youngest Daughter
|Educational Qualification||Not Available|
|Career Manager/ Player Agent||ICM Stellar Sports|
|Debut Club||• 2021: CA Boca Juniors|
|Debut International||• 2011: Argentina national football team|
|Jersey Number||• 6 (CA Boca Juniors)|
• 16 (Argentina national football team)
|Current Team(s)||• CA Boca Juniors|
• Argentina national football team
|Position||Defender - Centre-Back|
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 187 cm|
in meters- 1.87 m
in feet inches- 6'2”
|Weight (Approx.)||in kilograms- 85 kg|
in pounds- 187 lbs
|Chest Size||41 inches|
|Biceps Size||13 inches|
|Waist Size||34 inches|
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||Argentine|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
|Distinctive Features||Not Available|
|Dress Size||8 U.S.|
|Shoe Size||11 U.S.|
|Favorite Playing Position||Defender|
|Favorite Car||Not Available|
|Favorite Food||Fruits and Veg|
|Favorite Pet Animal||Dog|
|Favorite Cell Phone/Brand||Iphone|
The Full Story of an Argentine Defensive Genius Known as “Becho” by Woodgram.
Marcos Rojo Biography Facts provides you with a detailed account of his life’s events from childhood to the present.
An analysis of Marcos Rojo’s life before fame, family life, and off-pitch facts is included. Marcos Rojo’s biography is quite interesting, although most people know about his defensive abilities.
Let’s get started now without further ado.
The Early Years
For starters, Faustino Marcos Alberto Rojo was born on March 20th, 1990 in La Plata, Argentina. He was born to Carlina Rojo and Marcos Rojo Snr.
He grew up in El Triunfo, an impoverished city 40 miles from Buenos Aires (Argentina’s capital). It’s known for its notorious criminal gangs and football fans.
At the tender age of 4, Marcos’ parents enrolled him at Estudiantes LP to kick-start his career in a non-crime-prone area in La Plata. The defender takes his first steps in the beautiful game as a child in the picture below. Marcos Rojo says, “My dad didn’t have a car when I started playing football. The training wasn’t close to our house, and he was poor. We had to go by bicycle.
For a long time, we rode bicycles. He used to sell stuff on the street and pick me up from home. It was quite a long trip and I would get pretty warm while he drives his bicycle!”.
Football’s Early Years
In order to get to training, Red had to cycle around 20 kilometers from home to his training ground. In order to become a professional footballer, he had to make a lot of sacrifices. “I could see his passion,” said Rojo Snr (his dad). Because he would go after every ball, I saw myself in him.
“He was always different from the other boys.” Gabriel San Millan, the club’s youth coach, also recognized Marcos’ potential and helped him develop his talent. “Technically, he was a good player,” San Millan said.
According to him, he had good skills and a good foundation. The one thing that always stood out about him was his desire to improve. Alonso’s evolution as a player was incredible. Physically, he began to develop when he was 18 or 19.
Getting To Fame Story
In his teenage years, Marcos played for Estudiantes, a team in the Argentinian First Division. Fighting blighted Marcos’s teenage years, and he quit school early. Robberies, fights, and even deaths are common.
His savior was football. Since he was a child, he has always played football. It’s always football, day or night. There were a lot of fights between Marcos and his friends. There are too many conflicts and he gets very angry.
On these streets, it’s the norm. It’s important to be strong. In his late teens, Marcos won the Copa Libertadores and then played for Spartak Moscow and Sporting Lisbon. Argentina went all the way to the final before losing to Germany at the 2014 World Cup finals in Brazil.
This Is Eugenia Lusardo’s Story – Marcos Rojo Wife
Rojo is happily married to Eugenia Lusardo, a lingerie model from Lisbon. When Rojo was at Sporting CP, the lovers met and fell in love. Eugenia was working at the Lisbon-based lingerie company Dama de Copas at the time.
A lady of enamored beauty, she is. Morena (whom they affectionately call ‘More’), Martina, and one newborn girl are the couple’s daughters. Argentine Rojo’s life with his stunning model girlfriend Eugenia Lusardo is a world away from his upbringing in a poor neighborhood.
In The Affair
Rojo had an affair with a woman he met at a nightclub in December 2014. After accusing her of blackmail, he took out an injunction to prevent newspapers from publishing his name.
In April 2015, the injunction on his name was lifted due to concerns that other footballers might be suspected of the affair, but it remains in effect to prevent any images of Rojo from being released.
Family Life of Marcos Rojo
Football has saved Marcos from a life on the tough streets of El Triunfo and lifted his family out of poverty.
The sources show Marcos and his mother, Carlina, who is the greatest beneficiary of his wealth and success.
A little Bit About The Father Of Marcos Rojo
Rojo Snr, known as Titi, was a former amateur player with El Cruce who inspired his son to get into the game at an early age.
Marcos’ father sold street-corner churros for just £2.50 a day, enough to feed Marcos and his four siblings – Franco, Noelia, Micaela, and Sol.
An Attack On The Family Of Marcos Rojo
Due to his fame and fortune, Marcos Rojo’s family back home lives in fear of being murdered. His dad has already been beaten up by criminals in Argentina, and his mom has been shot.
A gang member who stormed into his childhood home threatened to kill his nine-year-old sister Sol and one-year-old Godson. Their goal was to get their hands on some of the millions of pounds he frequently sends back to his family.
A cleaner at Old Trafford famously revealed his colossal earnings.
Fear Of The Family
Franco and Noelia Marcos have bravely spoken out about their fears that their family is being victimized by Marcos’ success. An exclusive interview with media revealed that the family has stopped answering their door since he joined Man Utd in August.
From her home in La Plata, Noelia said: “We are always scared. Marcos is the reason they target us. Everyone knows the house. It is imperative that we take every precaution, and we don’t answer the door to anyone.
Bars had to be installed on all our windows – the front, the back, and the upstairs doors. Being Marcos Rojo’s family is dangerous. It’s our home, so we won’t leave.” Angry at the gang attack on her mother and father’s home, she posted a picture of the aftermath on her Twitter account.
Marcos, outraged, demanded the police find the perpetrators – they never did – and denounced them on Twitter. A work-permit issue caused by allegations of an attack in Marcos’ hometown held up the deal when Marcos joined United in the summer.
The Management Of Losing Situations
Franco, his brother, said, “He wanted to be Veron and would pretend to be him when playing football at home.” It is not uncommon for Marcos to stay alone for days after a defeat if his team has lost a critical game.
After Argentina lost to Germany in the 2014 World Cup Final, Marcos didn’t speak or see anyone for nearly a week. It is possible for him to be upset for many days at a time. Rojo remains angry.
He needs to be left alone for a while so he can come back calm. Rojo took about five days to recover after the World Cup. He turns off his phone and doesn’t speak to anyone. Manchester United hasn’t experienced it yet.”
He caused controversy once after posting a picture of Pablo Escobar on his Instagram page with the caption: “The only people who will be able to eat at my table are those who went hungry with me and stood by me during a difficult time in my life.”
When confronted, Marcos said the post was no big deal and added: “I liked the saying and the words.” Perhaps, he had seen Escobar’s life story on TV and liked the words. That doesn’t mean anything.
He actually supports what he did. Even so, Marcos hasn’t forgotten his roots and ensures that his success benefits his entire family. If he had followed his other passion in life, which is singing, that might not have happened. If Marcos couldn’t be a footballer, he wanted to be a singer. As a matter of fact, he sings and dances at all the family gatherings and parties.
Eating Banana On The Pitch
One of the major talking points from Manchester United’s Europa League victory over Rostov was Rojo eating a banana on the pitch! With Juan Mata’s second-half strike, Jose Mourinho’s side reached the quarter-finals 2-1 on aggregate.
Ashley Young was seen handing Rojo a peeled banana on the field of play, which mystified both sets of fans. Jose Mourinho admitted that the unusual sight was a result of fatigue, a factor that will likely play an increasingly important role towards the end of the season.
Mourinho said: “Marcos was tired many times.” He knows his body needs rest. It was just a simple request for a banana. I don’t find the banana situation funny at all. We have to respect a player’s physical condition.”
Marcos Rojo Tattoo
It appears that Red speaks English, as evidenced by his leg tattoos which have the words “Pride” and “Glory.” In addition, he has many other tattoos.
Marcos Rojo Rabona Clearance
As evidenced by his ‘Rabona’ clearance at the World Cup, he doesn’t have much confidence in his right foot.
According to Mark Lawrenson, if he had messed it up, “he would have looked like an ass”.
Marcos Rojo Net Worth
The center-back signed a contract with Manchester United in 2015 that nets him a salary of £4,160,000 a year. According to our calculations, he earns £11,397 per day and £475 per hour!
Salary & Net Worth Updated 2023
|Estimated Net Worth in 2023 (Approx)||19.7 Million Euro (17.5 Million Pound)|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2022 (Approx)||16 Million Euro (14.5 Million Pound)|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2021 (Approx)||Not Available|
|Per Month Salary||£346,667|
|Per Week Salary||£80,000|
|Per Day Salary||£11,397|
|Per Hour Salary||£475|
|Per Minute Salary||£8|
|Current Contract||With CA Boca Juniors|
|Contract Signed||Feb 2, 2021|
|Contract Expires||Dec 31, 2022|
|Contract Signing Amount or Transfer Fee||$6.60 Million|
|Market Value||$3.74 Million|
|Highest Market Value||$20.90 Million (Aug 1, 2016)|
|Income Source||Professional Footballer|
|Cars Collection||Not Available|
As a result of Rojito’s time in Europe, he has earned a lot of money, mostly at Man. United. The current value of Marcos Rojo net worth is about 19.7 million euros (17.5 million pounds). As such, his current market value is about $3.74 Million.
Marcos Rojo FIFA 22 Stats – Potential And Rating
In Argentina, Marcos Rojo plays as a Centre Back for Boca Juniors at the age of 33. In FIFA 22, he has an overall rating of 77 with a potential of 77. Currently, Red has a 3-star skill moves rating.
Marcos Rojo FIFA 22 Stats
Overall Rating In FIFA 22
Potential In FIFA 22
|75||Heading Accuracy||60||FK Accuracy|
|74||Short Passing||72||Long Passing|
His left foot is his preferred shooting foot. His work rate is medium to high. Our database estimates Rojo’s height at 187 cm and his weight at 85 kg. Marcos Rojo plays with the number 6 at the moment.
- Having grown up in La Plata, Argentina, Rojo joined his local side Estudiantes de La Plata at the age of ten.
- After signing his first professional contract, he was promoted to the club’s main team in 2009.
- In three years with the club, he made 43 appearances and scored three goals.
- He came on for extra time as Estudiantes lost 2–1 to FC Barcelona in the 2009 FIFA Club World Cup Final.
- During his time at Estudiantes, Rojo won a Copa Libertadores title and an Argentine Primera División title.
- During the 2010 Recopa Sudamericana, the defender scored his first goal in a 2–1 defeat against LDU Quito while playing mostly as a left-back.
- In December 2010, Rojo signed a five-year deal with Spartak Moscow.
- On 20 April 2011, he scored Spartak’s only goal in a 2–1 Russian Cup quarterfinal victory over Krasnodar.
- Rojo moved from Spartak Moscow to Sporting CP for £3.5 million in July 2012.
- He made his Sporting debut on 19 August 2012, playing the entire match and receiving a yellow card against Vitória de Guimarães.
- He received his first red card for Sporting in a league match against Porto on 7 October 2012, picking up two cautions within three minutes as Sporting lost 2–0.
- On 28 April 2013, he scored his first goal for Sporting against Nacional.
- In his first season in Portugal, Rojo played mostly at center-back, sometimes at left-back, as the team finished seventh in the league.
- In the second league match of the 2013-14 season, Rojo scored Sporting’s second goal in a 4–0 victory over Académica de Coimbra.
- Rojo was sent off against Belenenses on 19 April 2014, but Sporting held on to win 1–0.
- He scored six goals as Sporting finished as runners-up in the league.
- Rojo was disciplined by his club on 13 August 2014 for refusing to train after handing in a transfer request to force a move to Manchester United.
- Bruno de Carvalho, the president of Sporting, later claimed that third-party owners who were not representatives of Manchester United had pressured his club to sell Rojo.
Marcos Rojo At Manchester United
- Sporting and Manchester United announced an agreement to sell Rojo for €20 million (£16 million) on 19 August 2014.
- Rojo moved to Sporting on a season-long loan after United signed him on a five-year contract the next day.
- It was a dream of Rojo’s to play for Manchester United.
- Due to pending criminal charges in Argentina, where he is alleged to have fought with a neighbor in 2010, Red missed three matches for United.
- The UK Border Agency granted him a work permit to work in England on 4 September.
- In the 4–0 victory over Queens Park Rangers ten days later, he made his Old Trafford debut, playing the entire game.
- The 28-year-old injured his shoulder during the Manchester derby on 2 November, when he was tackled by Manchester City’s Marten Demichelis.
- In addition to Jonny Evans and Phil Jones, he also dislocated his shoulder, adding to United’s defensive injuries.
- His first goal for United came on 3 February 2015, when he headed Robin van Persie’s pass for the second goal of a 3–0 win over Cambridge United in the FA Cup fourth round.
- Following Argentina’s participation in the Copa América, Rojo was expected to rejoin Manchester United during their 2015 pre-season tour to North America.
- However, passport issues caused Rojo to miss the pre-season tour entirely, angering Louis van Gaal.
- As a result, Rojo was fined £140,000 for failing to join up with the rest of the squad on time.
- The 2016 FA Cup Final, in which United won 2–1 after extra time against Crystal Palace, saw Rojo booked for fouling Pape Souaré in the first half and replaced him with Matteo Darmian after 66 minutes.
- Rojo scored his first Premier League goal against Bournemouth on 4 March 2017.
- The injury occurred during a 2–1 win over Anderlecht in the quarter-finals of the Europa League, which United won.
- He made his return on 28 November 2017, in a 4–2 win at Watford.
- On 16 March 2018, Rojo signed a new contract with Manchester United that would keep him at the club until June 2021, with the option to extend for a further year.
- During Solskjir’s temporary appointment in December 2018, he told Rojo he was part of his plans when he told him he was part of his plans.
- Next season, he made only one Premier League start and played nine games across all competitions.
Loan Return To Estudiantes
For the remainder of the 2019–20 season, Rojo was loaned to his boyhood club, Estudiantes.
Marcos Rojo In Boca Juniors
In February 2021, Rojo returned to Argentina to sign with Boca Juniors for an undisclosed fee. Later, sources reported that he learned about the transfer through social media.
The winning goal for Boca in the 2022 Professional League Cup Final was scored by Rojo.
- Against Portugal in a friendly at Stade de Genève, Rojo earned his first cap on 9 February 2011.
- Argentina hosted the 2011 Copa América that same year, and he played in the opening match, a 1–1 draw against Bolivia on 2 July.
- As Argentina reached the quarter-finals, Javier Zanetti replaced him as left-back.
- For the 2014 FIFA World Cup, Rojo was named to Argentina’s squad in June 2014. Playing the entire match in defense, he contributed to Sead Kolatinac’s own goal in their 2–1 victory over Bosnia and Herzegovina at the Maracana.
- Rojo scored his first international goal against Nigeria in the team’s third group match, a 3–2 win.
- It reached the final before losing to Germany, and Rojo was the only Argentine in the Castrol Index Top 11.
- He was selected by Gerardo Martino for the 2015 Copa América.
- Although Rojo missed the penalty shootout at the end of Argentina’s goalless quarter-final against Colombia in Vina del Mar, the team advanced.
- A 6–1 victory over Paraguay in the semi-finals put Argentina into the final.
- He played the entirety of the decisive match against the hosts at the Estadio Nacional de Chile, which Argentina lost in a penalty shootout after a goalless draw.
- A year later for the Copa América Centenario in the United States, Rojo was again in Martino’s squad.
- On 26 June at MetLife Stadium, he was sent off for a foul on Arturo Vidal in the first half, as both teams ended with 10 men and Chile won on penalties.
- Jorge Sampaoli has named Rojo to the Argentina squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.
- As group runners-up behind Croatia, Argentina qualified for the knockout stage after he scored the winning goal against Nigeria on 26 June.
- A foul on Kylian Mbappé in the 10th minute resulted in a penalty, which was converted by Antoine Griezmann in the round of 16 matches against France on 30 June.
- He was later replaced by Federico Fazio in the 46th minute. In the end, Argentina lost 4–3 and was eliminated from the tournament.
Facts About Marcos Rojo
- In Rojo’s first season at Sporting, he made more positional errors and mistimed tackles as a left-back than a center-back.
- His speed helped him on defense in his second season.
- A good aerial threat was also attributed to him, although disciplinary problems remained.
- Besides his usual positions at center-back and left-back, Rojo can also play as a winger.
- Upon signing for Manchester United, it was theorized that he could play as a wing-back in Louis van Gaal’s preferred 3–5–2 formation.
- The actor is married to Eugenia Lusardo, a lingerie model based in Lisbon. There are three daughters between them.
- He has a number of tattoos, including the English words “Pride” and “Glory” on each thigh.
- In December 2014, Rojo had an affair with a woman he met at a nightclub. Taking out an injunction to prevent newspapers from publishing his name, he accused her of blackmail.
- In April 2015, the injunction on his name was lifted because other footballers could be suspected of the affair. However, remains in effect to prevent the release of images of Rojo.
How old is Marcos Rojo?
How tall is Marcos Rojo?
What position does Marcos Rojo play?
Is Marcos Rojo still at Manchester United?
It is one year since Marcos Rojo signed permanently with Boca Juniors after leaving Manchester United. The former Manchester United defender has absolutely no regrets about making the switch.
According to Marcos Rojo’s biography, we must mentally prepare for life’s challenges. On the way to becoming a professional footballer, aspiring players are likely to encounter roadblocks.
His parents prepared him for life by being persistent and dogged. By strengthening his character and lowering his expectations, the best Argentine footballer overcame many rejections.
We discovered something about Marcos Rojo during the process of writing his biography. It’s nothing more than his forgiving spirit. In spite of coming from a humble family, the footballer has shown us that he has a great attitude.
Here Is An Appreciation Note For Your Consideration
Thank you for reading this engaging article about the life journey of the Argentine footballer. Hopefully, Marcos Rojo’s childhood story has made you believe that patience and persistence can overcome anything.
At WoodGram, we strive for fairness and accuracy in our biographies. Feel free to contact us or leave a comment below if you found anything fishy in the article on Marcos Rojo.