Jennifer Shrader Lawrence (born August 15, 1990) is an American actress. In 2015 and 2016, she was ranked as the highest-paid actress in the world. To date, her films have grossed over $6 billion worldwide. In 2013, she appeared on Time’s list of 100 most influential people in the world, and from 2013 to 2016, she appeared on Forbes’ Celebrity 100 list. Lawrence participated in church plays and school musicals during her childhood. A talent scout discovered her while vacationing with her family in New York City at the age of fourteen. Her acting career began with guest roles on television after moving to Los Angeles.
During her first major role on The Bill Engvall Show (2007-2009), she played a major role as a main cast member. As a supporting actor, she made her film debut in Garden Party (2008) and had her breakthrough role in Winter’s Bone (2010), an independent mystery drama. After starring in the X-Men film series from 2011 to 2019 as the mutant Mystique, Lawrence then went on to star as Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games from 2012 to 2015. Consequently, she became the highest-grossing action heroine of all time as a result of this film.
In recognition of her three collaborations with filmmaker David O. Russell, Lawrence has received various accolades. In 2012, she won the Academy Award for Best Actress for her portrayal of a troubled young widow in Silver Linings Playbook, making her the second-youngest winner in that category. It was for her performance as an unpredictable wife in the black comedy American Hustle (2013) that she received the BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role. She has also received Golden Globe nominations for both of these films, as well as for her performance as businesswoman Joy Mangano in the biopic Joy (2015).
As a result of a series of mixed reviews and the media’s scrutiny of her role choices, she took a brief break from acting. She returned to the screen with the streaming films Don’t Look Up (2021) and Causeway (2022). In addition to being a feminist, Lawrence is also an advocate for the reproductive rights of women. Jennifer Lawrence founded the Jennifer Lawrence Foundation in 2015 to advocate for the Boys & Girls Clubs of America and the Special Olympics. In 2018, she established the production company Excellent Cadaver. She has served as a spokesperson for RepresentUs, a nonprofit anti-corruption organization, and is an active member.
Jennifer Lawrence Bio/Wiki
The table below reveals concise information about Jennifer Lawrence. It allows you to read through the famous American actress’s profile as quickly as possible.
|Jennifer Shrader Lawrence
|Date of Birth
|15 August 1990
|33 years old (as of 2023)
|Place of Birth
|Indian Hills, Kentucky, United States
|Louisville, Kentucky, United States
|Zodiac or Sun Sign
|English, German, Irish, and Scottish
|TV Show: Monk (2006)
Music Video: The Mess I Made (2010)
Film: Garden Party (2008)
|2006 – Present
Jennifer Lawrence Parents, Siblings, And Education
On August 15, 1990, Jennifer Shrader Lawrence was born in Indian Hills, Kentucky, to Gary Lawrence, an owner of a construction company, and Karen Lawrence, a summer camp manager. Ben and Blaine are her older brothers. In preschool, her mother forbade her from playing with other girls because she considered her “too rough” with them.
Lawrence attended Kammerer Middle School in Louisville. Due to hyperactivity and social anxiety, she did not enjoy her childhood and considered herself a misfit among her peers. It has been reported that her anxieties disappeared when she performed on stage and that acting gave her a sense of accomplishment.
Among the activities, she participated in at school were cheerleading, softball, field hockey, and basketball, which she played on a boys’ team coached by her father.
During his childhood, Lawrence enjoyed horseback riding and frequently visited a local horse farm. Her tailbone has been injured as a result of being thrown from a horse. Often dressing as a clown or ballerina, she performed for her father when he worked from home.
|Gary Lawrence (a construction company owner)
When she was nine years old, she played a prostitute in a church play based on the Book of Jonah. During the following years, she continued to participate in church plays and school musicals.
When Lawrence was 14, she was on a family vacation in New York City when a talent scout spotted her on the street and arranged for her to audition for talent agents. Lawrence’s mother was not enthusiastic about Lawrence pursuing an acting career, but she briefly relocated her family to New York so that Lawrence could read for roles there.
She was told by the agents that her first cold reading was the best they had heard from someone so young; however, her mother convinced her that they were lying. It was difficult for Lawrence to cope with her early experiences because she felt alone and friendless. Her parents agreed to let her audition for roles in Los Angeles after she signed with CESD Talent Agency.
Although her mother encouraged her to pursue modeling, she turned down several modeling offers in favor of acting, which she considered a “natural fit” for her abilities. After dropping out of school at the age of 14, she did not receive a General Educational Development (GED) or a diploma.
According to her, she considers herself to be self-educated and places a high priority on her career. She worked as an assistant nurse at her mother’s camp between acting jobs in the city.
Jennifer Lawrence Height, Weight, And Physical Appearance
|in centimeters- 175 cm
in meters- 1.75 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 9”
|in Kilograms- 63 kg
in Pounds- 139 lbs
Jennifer Lawrence Husband And Son
A mysterious man spotted with Jennifer Lawrence in June 2018 was eventually identified as New York City-based art gallerist Cooke Maroney. Prior to the engagement, the couple had kept their relationship mostly private. They then got married during a lavish weekend in Rhode Island in October 2019.
Who is Maroney, and how did an art gallery director catch the attention of one of Hollywood’s biggest stars? Here is a brief overview of Maroney and Lawrence’s relationship so far and their marriage.
|Son– Cy (born in Feb 2022)
|19 October 2019
|Graham Patrick Martin (2008-2009)
Nicholas Hoult (2010-2014)
Chris Martin (2014-2015)
According to the media, Maroney, and Lawrence welcomed their first child together on February 24. The couple did not confirm the news themselves, and no information has been provided regarding the baby’s name, gender, or birth date.
The media reported in September 2022 that Lawrence and Maroney had a baby boy named Cy after the postwar American artist Cy Twombly.
According to the media, Lawrence became pregnant with her first child in September 2021. The pregnant woman was spotted walking through New York City in floral overalls and a leather bag, showing off her growing baby bump.
Jennifer Lawrence Net Worth
An award-winning American actress with a net worth of $170 million, Jennifer Lawrence is one of the world’s most popular stars.
Lawrence earned $3,000 per week for Winter’s Bone. In 2012, Jennifer Lawrence received a salary of $500,000 for the first Hunger Games movie, but her salary skyrocketed after the movie’s commercial success.
|Net Worth (as of 2023)
|Salary Per Year (as of 2023)
|$15-20 Million per movie
|Rick Yorn at LBI Entertainment
|Tesla Model S ($120,990)
Tesla Model Y ($80,000)
Cadillac ELR Coupe ($71,900)
Audi Q7 ($91,500)
Volkswagen EOS ($26,974)
Chevrolet Volt ($31,315)
Cadillac Escalade ($100,900)
Mercedes-Benz S-Class ($125,600)
Cadillac CT6 ($97,490)
As terms of base salary and bonuses, she earned $10 million for the second position and $30-40 million for the fourth position. In 2016, Jennifer earned $20 million for the film Passengers, which was $8 million more than her co-star Chris Pratt. She earned $15 million for the 2018 film Red Sparrow.
Jennifer usually earns at least $15 million in base pay for a movie today. With bonus milestones, that number can increase significantly. Jennifer earned $20 million between August 2017 and August 2018, making her one of the top five highest-paid actresses in the world.
The actress received $25 million for the Netflix movie Don’t Look Up in 2021, which was actually $5 million less than Leonardo DiCaprio’s, but she did receive top billing.
Lawrence purchased a 5,500-square-foot Beverly Hills home for $8.225 million in 2014. It has been owned by celebrities such as Ellen DeGeneres and Jessica Simpson in the past.
In 2016, she paid a staggering $15.6 million for a penthouse apartment on the Upper West Side of New York City. The unit was listed for sale for $15.45 million in 2019. When she sold the unit for $9.9 million in 2020, she took a loss of approximately $5 million.
In 2017, she purchased a second apartment in Tribeca for $9 million. Apparently, she rents this unit for between $25 and $30 per month.
Jennifer purchased a 5,000-square-foot apartment in New York City’s West Village for $22 million in October 2020.
Jennifer Lawrence Career – Movies And TV Shows
Her breakthrough came in 2006 when she appeared on the television show Company Town. Following her television debut, she appeared in a number of minor guest roles in sitcoms.
As Lauren in The Bill Engvall Show, she was cast in a television series that lasted for three seasons. The show received critical acclaim from prestigious magazines, and she received her first award for her performance.
She made her film debut with Garden Party in 2008. In the same year, Guillermo Arriaga signed her own contract for The Burning Pain. It was her portrayal of the eldest daughter of a drug addict mother in The Poker House that sealed her fate in the industry.
Becoming A Star
Her portrayal of a helpless yet dauntless seventeen-year-old girl in Winter’s Bone took her career to the Oscars, where she was nominated for Best Actress, although she did not win, her nomination put her career in the spotlight.
In 2011, Matthew Vaughn offered her X-Men: First Class after she appeared in Like Crazy and The Beaver. Her portrayal of the character’s limitations and prowess was flawless.
In the wake of her performance in the X-Men series, she was offered a film series that placed her amongst the elites of the entertainment industry. It was quite challenging for her to play Everdeen in the Hunger Games, a film set in a post-apocalyptic future.
Due to the physical demands of the role, she trained in yoga, archery, tree climbing, and combat. Her mother’s support enabled her to push her limits despite her initial reluctance.
Being An Oscar Winner
Her superb performance as an action star in X-Men and Hunger Games was followed by a more sober role as Tiffany Maxwell in Silver Linings Playbook.
David O Russell signed her after she auditioned for him over the telephone. In spite of his inhibitions about her being too young for a role such as this, she persuaded him that she was capable of performing it.
In keeping with her word, she delivered an outstanding performance in the film and won an Academy Award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role.
The Hunger Games film series starred her as Katniss Everdeen, making her the top-grossing action heroine of all time.
During her performance as ‘Rosalyn Rosenfeld’ in American Hustle, she won many awards in the category of a supporting actress, including an Oscar nomination.
Developing A Promising Career
In 2014, Jennifer Lawrence released two films, Serena and X-men: Days of the Past. They both performed fairly well, and she deserves credit for her outstanding acting in both movies. She was followed by her performance in Mockingjay – Part 1 and Part 2, the final series of The Hunger Games.
Lawrence established herself as an actress with her performance in Joy in 2015. The nomination for the same-titled work made her the youngest artist to receive four Academy Award nominations.
During the following year, she narrated A Beautiful Planet, portrayed Mystique in X-Men: Apocalypse, and played Aurora Lane in Sci-Fi Passengers, which was a critical success.
A stirring performance was given by her in the film Mother, directed by Darren Aronofsky. Following a series of negative reviews, including Red Sparrow and Passenger, she took a short break from acting. In Don’t Look Up, a satirical black comedy, she made a comeback.
There is no doubt that her roles in Silver Linings Playbook, Hunger Games, and Joy have left a lasting impression on the world of cinema.
Lawrence has contributed to several charitable programs, including Feeding America, Thirst Project, and Do Something. During the 2015 Special Olympics World Summer Games, she screened Serena in order to raise funds for the event.
It was Lawrence’s pleasure to provide the narration for A Beautiful Planet, a documentary film that explores Earth from the International Space Station. It was her third appearance as Mystique in X-Men: Apocalypse (2016). Mixed reviews were given to the film, with most agreeing that the story’s themes and the actors’ performances were detracted by the excessive amount of action.
In her review for Empire, Helen O’Hara criticized Lawrence’s portrayal of her character as being too grim in comparison with the previous installments of the series. The 43rd People’s Choice Awards recognized her as the Favorite Movie Actress despite this. In the science fiction romance Passengers (2016), Lawrence received top billing over co-star Chris Pratt.
Pratt and Lawrence starred as two individuals who awaken ninety years too early from an induced hibernation on a spaceship bound for another planet.
She was nervous about performing her first sex scene and kissing a married man (Pratt) on camera; she consumed alcohol in preparation for the filming of these scenes. Despite its underwhelming reviews, Passengers was initially defended by Lawrence by calling it a “tainted, complicated love story.” She later expressed regret over starring in it.
The psychological horror film mother by Darren Aronofsky! This was Lawrence’s sole release in 2017. The character she played was a young wife who suffered trauma after an unexpected guest invaded her home. Despite her reluctance to rehearsal in her previous roles, Lawrence spent three months rehearsing the film in a Brooklyn warehouse.
When she hyperventilated one day, she was put on supplemental oxygen, and she also dislocated a rib. Mother! The performance polarized audiences and led to mass walkouts. A reviewer for the San Francisco Chronicle described the film as “assaultive” and a “deliberate test of audience endurance”, and credited Lawrence with “never allowing herself to be reduced simply to a howling victim.”
In Francis Lawrence’s espionage thriller Red Sparrow, based on Jason Matthews’ novel of the same name, she portrayed Dominika Egorova, a Russian spy who becomes involved with a mysterious CIA agent (played by Joel Edgerton). Her preparation for the role included learning a Russian accent and training in ballet for four months.
Due to a nude photo hack, the actress was challenged by the sexuality in her role, however, she stated that performing the nude scenes made her feel empowered. Despite a dislike for the film’s denouement, IndieWire’s Eric Kohn praised the performances of Lawrence and Charlotte Rampling, stating that “the considerable talent on display is a constant saving grace.”
The film Dark Phoenix, Lawrence’s fourth and final appearance as Mystique, was a critical and box-office failure.
Hiatus And Return To Film (2019–Present)
After appearing in a number of mixed-review films, Lawrence took a short break from acting. During this period, she felt unsatisfied with her films, avoided media scrutiny, and concentrated on domestic matters. In 2021, Lawrence returned to work with Adam McKay in his film Don’t Look Up for Netflix for a reported salary of $25 million.
As part of a “slapstick apocalypse,” she and costar Leonardo DiCaprio played two astronomers who tried to warn humanity about an asteroid that may cause extinction. In an interview with Vogue, Lawrence revealed that she extensively researched the typical appearance of aspiring astrophysicists before receiving the red dye job and undercut.
The film received mixed reviews, but critics praised Lawrence and DiCaprio’s performances, describing them as “powerhouses” by Ian Sandwell of Digital Spy and “a delight to watch” by Saibal Chatterjee of NDTV. A fifth Golden Globe nomination was received for the film by Lawrence. The film broke the record for Netflix’s most views in a single week (152 million hours) and ranks as the platform’s second most-watched film within 28 days of its release.
In Lila Neugebauer’s independent drama Causeway (2022), Lawrence played a soldier suffering from a brain injury. Moreover, she produced the film through her company, Excellent Cadaver, which she established in 2018. She was drawn to “the slow melody of a character-driven story” after starring in a number of big-budget films.
Putting the film in comparison to Lawrence’s work in Winter’s Bone, Allison Wilmore of Vulture wrote that “it is a welcome reminder of how compelling Lawrence can be, as well as a promising indication that she is willing to work on smaller projects and work with young directors”.
Next, Lawrence will appear in and produce Gene Stupnitsky’s comedy film No Hard Feelings.
Jennifer Lawrence Movies List
The Poker House
The Burning Plain
X-Men: First Class
|The Hunger Games
Silver Linings Playbook
House at the End of the Street
|The Devil You Know
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
|X-Men: Days of Future Past
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1
|The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2
|A Beautiful Planet
|Don’t Look Up
|No Hard Feelings
Jennifer Lawrence TV Shows List
|The Bill Engvall Show
|Saturday Night Live
|Jimmy Kimmel Live!
Facts About Jennifer Lawrence
- Is Jenifer Lawrence a smoker? In fact, yes.
- Does Jennifer Lawrence consume alcohol? Yes
- When Lawrence was a child, he suffered from hyperactivity and social anxiety.
- At the age of 14, she was spotted by a talent scout company, which arranged for her to audition.
- Jennifer Lawrence was recognized for her role as Katnis Everdeen in the Hunger Games movie series, and she became the highest-grossing action heroine.
- As a result of her collaboration with David O. Russells, Lawrence has received a number of accolades. Having portrayed a depressed widow in the romantic comedy Silver Lining Playbooks in 2012, she became the second youngest actress to win an Academy Award for Best Actress.
- In addition, she was awarded the BAFTA Best Actress Award for her supporting role in American Hustle, a black comedy film. The character she played was a troubled wife.
- Her three Golden Globe Awards include two for the films previously mentioned and one for her role in the film Joy as the eponymous inventor.
- Her movies have grossed over $5 billion worldwide, making her the most successful and highest-paid actress of all time.
- She is the youngest actress to receive four Academy Award nominations.
- Her advocacy for feminism and gender equality is very vocal. In addition, she has established a charitable foundation called the Jenifer Lawrence Foundation.
- Having suffered from social anxiety and hyperactivity as a child, she considers her childhood to have been an “unhappy” experience.
- Jennifer was a cheerleader at her school and played netball, field hockey, and basketball. Her father used to coach the guys’ team where she played. It was considered too dangerous for her to play with the girls by her mother!
- The photoshoot for Aberombie & Fitch did not feature Jennifer as a model because the girls were playing ball on the beach during the photo shoot. In contrast to the photo shoot, Jennifer took the game more seriously. Upon asking for the reason for rejection, she was only provided with her photographs.
- Throughout her life, she was ambitious and wanted to be a doctor, buy a house, become a mother, and live in Kentucky, but she always knew she would be famous one day.
- The first role she played was that of a prostitute in a church play based on the Book of Jonah. The friends and family of her family came up to her after the play and said, “We don’t know whether we should congratulate you or not, as your child has proven to be a great prostitute.”
- Although Jennifer’s mother was not enthusiastic about Jennifer’s acting career, she still took her to the city so that she could read the roles. She impressed the agents as she could read; however, her mother convinced Lawrence that they were lying. In spite of this, she joined CESD Talent Agency.
- After being home-schooled for two years, she finished her course two years early with high grades.
- In the Washington Post critic Tom Shaly’s review of The Bill Engrave Show, he said that she was a “scene stealer” for the role of rebellious teenager Lauren.
- During the Sundance Film Festival, she received the National Board of Review Award for Breakthrough Performance for her role in Winter’s Bone.
- Lawrence is well prepared for the roles in the films. She does not only study the film, but also takes the time to explore places, skills, and people in order to accurately portray the character. She learned how to skin squirrels, chop wood, and fight for her movie Winter Bone.
- Travers noted in her Silver Lining Playbooks that Lawrence was “some kind of miracle.” There are times when she is rude, dirty, funny, foul-mouthed, messy, sexy, vibrant, and vulnerable, sometimes all at the same time. As a result of this role, she was awarded the Golden Globe and the Academy Award.
- There are several foundations and causes that she supports and she did not hesitate to oppose Kim Davis for opposing equal marriage rights.
- Lawrence did not receive any training from a theater or acting school. Self-taught, she stated: “I have always studied people and have been fascinated by their reactions and feelings.” In my opinion, watching real people, listening to them, and observing them is the best acting class one could take.
- In the Hollywood film industry, Lawrence is regarded as having a great deal of power and influence.
- As a result of her hot persona, she has been given several titles by various magazines.
- 2010 was the year in which People magazine named her “The most beautiful person in the world.”
- In 2013, Time magazine recognized Jennifer as one of the World’s 100 Most Influential People.
- During the filming of American Hustle, her love for Nachos stained all her dresses. Arrangements were made for an extra pair of shoes by the team.
- In the class, she was considered to be the “most talkative.”
She then reprised the role of Everdeen in The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, the second installment in the Hunger Games series. While performing the film’s underwater stunts, Lawrence suffered from an ear infection that resulted in a brief loss of hearing.
She made the transition to stardom upon being cast as heroine Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games (2012)—the film version of the first book in the Hunger Games trilogy, Suzanne Collins’s runaway best-selling young-adult novels.
She married Cooke Maroney in 2019.
Jennifer Lawrence was 20 in The Hunger Games when she played the character ‘Katniss Everdeen’. Jennifer Lawrence was 20 years old when filming began for the film, The Hunger Games. Her character, Katniss Everdeen, is supposed to be 16 years old in the storyline.
An Appreciation Note For Your Consideration
Thank you for reading this engaging article about the life journey of Jennifer Lawrence. Hopefully, Jennifer Lawrence’s biography has made you believe patience and persistence can overcome anything.
At WoodGram, we strive for fairness and accuracy in our biographies. Feel free to contact us or leave a comment below if you found anything fishy in the article on Jennifer Lawrence.