Govind Ahuja famous as Govinda is a well-known Indian film actor, dancer, and former politician. He is best known for his work in Hindi-language films. Govinda is Famous for his slapstick performances and dancing skills, he is considered a perfect entertainer and a very successful actor in the Bollywood film industry. BBC News Online poll voted his as the 10th greatest star on screen or stage in 1999. Govinda was born in a Sindhi-Punjabi family on 21 December 1963 in Virar, Maharashtra, India.
His father’s name is Arun Kumar Ahuja, an actor, and his mother’s name is Nirmala Ahuja. He had 5 siblings and he was the youngest of them. Govinda was called with a pet name ‘Chi Chi’ and even known as ‘Chichi Bhaiya’. He has a brother Kirti Kumar, an actor, and a sister Kamini Khanna, who is a writer. Govinda is married to Sunita Ahuja on 11 March 1987. Before marriage, Govinda was in a relationship with Neelam Kothari, an actress, and also with Rani Mukherji, an actress. Govinda and Sunita have a son Yashvardhan Ahuja and a daughter Tina Ahuja, an actress.
[table id=2134 /]
Govinda completed his Bachelor of Commerce degree from Annasaheb Vartak College, Vasai, Maharashtra. Later, He worked in a fertilizer commercial and also in an Allwyn advertisement.
He started struggling for movies as he had a filmy background. During his struggling period, he joined Roshan Taneja School of Acting, Saroj Khan Dance classes. Govinda circulated CDs of his dancing and acting to get work.
One day his maternal uncle who was a producer watched his performance and cast him in the Film Tan Badan which was the first movie of Govinda in a lead role.
Govinda Net Worth
According to Woodgram, Govinda’s net worth in 2023 is estimated at $20.5 Million. Govinda’s net worth is apprehensive of his brand endorsements.
[table id=2135 /]
After debut, he acted in no. of the film like Love 86, Khudgarz, Hatya, Dariya Dil, Jeete Hain Shan Se, Hum, Marte Dam Tak, Jung Baz, Taaquatwar, and Gair that gave a mix response.
In 90s Awaargi, Swarg, and Maha Sangram are successful. in 1990 Zulm Ki Hukumat, Shola Aur Shabnam, Aankhe, Raja Babu, Coolie No.1, Sajan Chale Sasural, Banarsi Babu, Deewana Mastana, Hero No 1, Bade Miyan Chote Miyan, Haseena Maan Jayegi films were released.
Govinda also sang some songs for his films like Meri Pant Bhi sexy, Gori Gori, etc. Up to now, Govinda acted in more than 160 movies among them film Partner is Govinda’s biggest success.
Govinda showed his talent in Singing as well as in acting. He sang songs for many of his movies and also launched two music album Govinda(1998), Gori Tere Naina(2013).
Govinda produced a movie Abhinay Chakra in which he himself is in the lead role. Abhinay Chakra is going to be released in 2016. Govinda also worked as a politician for Indian National Congress. He was elected as the seventh Member of Parliament for the Mumbai North Constituency of Maharashtra, 2004 after defeating Ram Naik of the Bharatiya Janata Party. In 2009 he left politics to concentrate more on films.
[table id=2136 /]
Facts About Govinda
- Does Govinda Drink Alcohol?: Yes
- Does Govinda Smoke?: Yes
- With his dancing moves in the song I Am A Street Dancer, he made his mark in the film Ilzaam.
- On 11 March 1987, he tied the knot with his love Sunita, but their marriage was kept hidden from the media for the next four years.
- In 1994, he met with a major car accident and got many head injuries, but he didn’t cancel his shoot of the movie Khudaar because of this.
- His movie Aunty No.1 was named “Aunty” initially, but as No.1 was lucky for Govinda, so, it was added to the title afterward.
- The role of Tara in Gadar was originally offered to him, but Sunny Deol won it. He was also offered roles in films Taal and Devdas, but he declined all of them.
- Govinda is known as the “King of Swag” in Bollywood because of his ultimate expressions.
- Throughout his career, he has never been punctual on sets or at work, causing a lot of inconvenience to his filmmakers and co-workers.
- Govinda used to have such a craze of watching movies that he used to save money, especially for watching movies.
- Nazeem, his mother, converted to Hinduism and changed her name to Nirmala Devi.
- Due to his father’s only film production in his entire career, a big flop, Govinda’s family had to move from a bungalow to semi-rural semiurban areas.
- His English wasn’t good enough for a steward’s job at the Taj Mahal Hotel.
- He was never meant to be an actor because his mother wanted him to be a banker. He even gave so many auditions that his mother was unaware of.
- While auditioning for various roles at Rajashri Studios, he was rejected many times.
- He once told that except for Hatya and Swarg, he doesn’t like any of his films.
Why has Govinda flopped?
Trying to foray into politics was one of the biggest mistakes of Govinda’s Bollywood career, as he eventually lost out on his stardom. Apart from politics, his immense indulgence in spirituality is also another reason for the downward streak in his career.
Why is Krishna called Govinda?
Since as Krishna, He was a cowherd, Krishna may also be referred to as Govinda. He is Govinda because He gives us the power of speech. It was Lord Narayana who suggested to Indra that he fashion the Vajrayudham from Dadichi’s backbone. The Vajrayudham is also called ‘Go’.
Is Govinda’s wife Sunita Nepali?
Sunita Ahuja was born to a Punjabi father and Nepali mother. She has an elder sister and a brother.
Is Govinda offered Avatar?
Govinda had said in an interview to journalist Rajat Sharma, on his show Aap Ki Adalat, that he was offered the lead role in director James Cameron’s 2009 blockbuster, Avatar. He rejected the film as he didn’t want to wear the body paint for hours (there was nobody paint involved).
Is Govinda a good actor?
Many fellow actors like Salman still consider Govinda to be the best actor from their generation but his choice of movies and his attitude to some extent unhinged his career. Govinda’s is a classic case that underlines the need for an actor, howsoever good, to constantly reinvent himself with time.