Govind Ahuja famous as Govinda is a well-known Indian film actor, dancer, and former politician. He is best known for his work in Hindi-language films. Govinda is Famous for his slapstick performances and dancing skills, he is considered a perfect entertainer and a very successful actor in the Bollywood film industry. BBC News Online poll voted his as the 10th greatest star on screen or stage in 1999.
Govinda was born in a Sindhi-Punjabi family on 21 December 1963 in Virar, Maharashtra, India. His father’s name is Arun Kumar Ahuja, an actor, and his mother’s name is Nirmala Ahuja. He had 5 siblings and he was the youngest of them. Govinda was called with a pet name ‘Chi Chi’ and even known as ‘Chichi Bhaiya’. He has a brother Kirti Kumar, an actor, and a sister Kamini Khanna, who is a writer. Govinda is married to Sunita Ahuja on 11 March 1987. Before marriage, Govinda was in a relationship with Neelam Kothari, an actress, and also with Rani Mukherji, an actress. Govinda and Sunita have a son Yashvardhan Ahuja and a daughter Tina Ahuja, an actress.
- Dulquer Salmaan Bio, Wife, Movies, Age, Father, Net Worth & Wiki
- Anil Kapoor Bio, Age, Wife, Movies, Daughter, Net Worth & Wiki
|Birth Name||Govind Arun Ahuja|
|Nick Name||Govinda, Chi Chi, Virar ka Chokra|
|Age||(as in 2022) 59 Years|
|Debut||• Film (Actor): Ilzaam (1986)|
• Film (Producer): Ssukh (2005)
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Sagittarius|
|Birth Place||Virar, Maharashtra, India|
|Date of Birth||21 December 1963|
|Residence||105, “Jal Darshan”, “A” Wing, Ruia Park Road, Juhu, Mumbai – 400049|
|Home Town||Virar, Maharashtra, India|
|Mother's Name||Nirmala Ahuja|
|Father's Name||Arun Kumar Ahuja (Actor)|
|Brother||Kirti Kumar (Actor)|
|Sister||Kamini Khanna (Writer)|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||• Neelam Kothari (Actress)|
• Rani Mukherji (Actress)
• Sunita Ahuja
Marital Status, Wife and Children
|Marriage Date||March 11, 1987|
|Children||• Yashvardhan Ahuja|
• Tina Ahuja (Actor)
|College/University||Annasaheb Vartak College, Vasai, Maharashtra|
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor of Commerce|
|Profession||Actor, Producer, Dancer, Politician|
|Brands Endorsed||Not Known|
|Career Manager||Not Known|
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 173 cm|
in meters- 1.73 m
in feet inches- 5’ 8”
|Weight (Approx.)||in kilograms- 85 kg|
in pounds- 187 lbs
|Chest Size||44 inches|
|Biceps Size||14 inches|
|Waist Size||36 inches|
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||Mixed (Sindhi-Punjabi)|
|Dress Size||Not Known|
|Shoe Size||10 US|
|Cars Collection||Mercedez-Benz, Mitsubishi Lancer, Ford Endeavor|
|Favourite Food||Moong Dal, Khichdi, Bhindi|
|Favourite Actors||Salman Khan|
|Favourite Actress||Priyanka Chopra|
|Favourite Restaurant||Just Around The Corner in Mumbai and Ming Yang in Mumbai|
|Controversies||On 16 January 2008, he slapped Santosh Rai during the shooting of his film "Money Hai to Honey Hai" as Govinda alleged that he was misbehaving on the sets at Filmistan Studio, Mumbai. After this, Rai filed a complaint against Govinda, but it was suppressed by the Bombay High Court. After that, Rai went to the Supreme Court, which issued a notice to Govinda and later offered an unconditional apology, and ₹5 lakh compensation to the victim.|
Govinda completed his Bachelor of Commerce degree from Annasaheb Vartak College, Vasai, Maharashtra. Later, He worked in a fertilizer commercial and also in an Allwyn advertisement. He started struggling for movies as he had a filmy background. During his struggling period, he joined Roshan Taneja School of Acting, Saroj Khan Dance classes.
Govinda circulated CDs of his dancing and acting to get work. One day his maternal uncle who was a producer watched his performance and cast him in the Film Tan Badan which was the first movie of Govinda in a lead role.
- Riteish Deshmukh Bio, Movies, Wife, Age, Father, Net Worth & Wiki
- Bobby Deol Bio, Son, Wife, Age, Movies, Net Worth & Wiki
Govinda Net Worth
According to Woodgram, Govinda’s net worth in 2022 is estimated at INR 151.28 crores ($20 Million). Govinda’s net worth is apprehensive of his brand endorsements.
|Estimated Net Worth in 2022 (Approx)||$20 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2021 (Approx)||Under Review|
|Salary||INR 2-3 Crores/film|
|Income Source||Actor, Producer, Dancer, Politician|
After debut, he acted in no. of the film like Love 86, Khudgarz, Hatya, Dariya Dil, Jeete Hain Shan Se, Hum, Marte Dam Tak, Jung Baz, Taaquatwar, and Gair that gave a mix response.
In 90s Awaargi, Swarg, and Maha Sangram are successful. in 1990 Zulm Ki Hukumat, Shola Aur Shabnam, Aankhe, Raja Babu, Coolie No.1, Sajan Chale Sasural, Banarsi Babu, Deewana Mastana, Hero No 1, Bade Miyan Chote Miyan, Haseena Maan Jayegi films were released. Govinda also sang some songs for his films like Meri Pant Bhi sexy, Gori Gori, etc.
Up to now, Govinda acted in more than 160 movies among them film Partner is Govinda’s biggest success. Govinda showed his talent in Singing as well as in acting. He sang songs for many of his movies and also launched two music album Govinda(1998), Gori Tere Naina(2013). Govinda produced a movie Abhinay Chakra in which he himself is in the lead role. Abhinay Chakra is going to be released in 2016.
Govinda also worked as a politician for Indian National Congress. He was elected as the seventh Member of Parliament for the Mumbai North Constituency of Maharashtra, 2004 after defeating Ram Naik of the Bharatiya Janata Party. In 2009 he left politics to concentrate more on films.
Pyaar Karke Dekho
Marte Dam Tak
Ghar Mein Ram Gali Mein Shyam
Ghar Ghar Ki Kahani
Tohfa Mohabbat Ka
Jeete Hain Shaan Se
Halaal Ki Kamai
Paap Ko Jalaa Kar Raakh Kar Doonga
|1989||Sachai Ki Taqat|
Dost Garibon Ka
Asmaan Se Ooncha
Farz Ki Jung
Jaisi Karni Waisi Bharnii
Paap Ka Ant
Taqdeer Ka Tamasha
Apmaan Ki Aag
Paap Ke Dushman
Karz Chukana Hai
Kaun Kare Kurbanie
|1992||Shola Aur Shabnam|
Jaan Se Pyaara
Radha Ka Sangam
Zulm Ki Hukumat
Naach Govinda Naach
Zakhmo Ka Hisaab
Aadmi Khilona Hai
Teri Payal Mere Geet
|1994||Raja Babu |
Ekka Raja Rani
Beta Ho To Aisa
Andaz Apna Apna
Coolie No. 1
|1996||Apne Dam Par|
Saajan Chale Sasural
|1997||Hero No. 1|
Do Ankhen Barah Hath
|1998||Aunty No. 1|
Bade Miyan Chote Miyan
Haseena Maan Jaayegi
Hum Tum Pe Marte Hain
|2000||Hadh Kar Di Aapne|
Joru Ka Ghulam
Jis Desh Mein Ganga Rehta Hain
Beti No. 1
Jodi No.1 Veeru
Dil Ne Phir Yaad Kiya
Kyo Kii... Main Jhuth Nahin Bolta
Aamdani Atthani Kharcha Rupaiyaa
|2002||Pyaar Diwana Hota Hai|
Akhiyon Se Goli Maare
Waah! Tera Kya Kehna
Chalo Ishq Ladaaye
|2003||Ek Aur Ek Gyarah|
|2005||Khullam Khulla Pyaar Karen|
|2007||Salaam-e-Ishq: A Tribute to Love|
Jahan Jaaeyega Hamen Paaeyega
Om Shanti Om
|2008||Humsey Hai Jahaan |
Money Hai Toh Honey Hai
|2009||Chal Chala Chal|
Do Knot Disturb
|2011||Naughty @ 40|
|2013||Deewana Main Deewana|
|2017||Aa Gaya Hero|
Facts About Govinda
- Does Govinda Drink Alcohol?: Yes
- Does Govinda Smoke?: Yes
- Govinda used to have such a craze of watching movies that he used to save money, especially for watching movies.
- His mother, Nazeem was a Muslim but got converted into Hinduism and changed her name to Nirmala Devi.
- Govinda had a very tough childhood, as his father produced only one film in his entire career, and that too a big flop, due to which they had to shift to semi-rural semiurban areas from a bungalow.
- He was once rejected for a steward’s job at the Taj Mahal Hotel because his English wasn’t up to the mark.
- Her mother wanted him to become a banker and never wanted him to become an actor. Even, he gave so many auditions, which were kept hidden from his mother.
- Initially, he was rejected by Rajashri Studios many times, when he auditioned for various roles.
- He debuts as a supporting role in the film Ilzaam, he made his mark with his dancing moves in the song I Am A Street Dancer.
- On 11 March 1987, he tied the knot with his love Sunita, but their marriage was kept hidden from the media for the next four years.
- In 1994, he met with a major car accident and got many head injuries, but he didn’t cancel his shoot of the movie Khudaar because of this.
- His movie Aunty No.1 was named “Aunty” initially, but as No.1 was lucky for Govinda, so, it was added to the title afterward.
- He was the first choice for the role of Tara in the film Gadar, which later went to Sunny Deol. He was also offered roles in films Taal and Devdas, but he declined all of them.
- Govinda is known as the “King of Swag” in Bollywood because of his ultimate expressions.
- In his long career, he has never been punctual on sets or on his work due to which his filmmakers and co-workers have suffered a lot.
- He once told that except for Hatya and Swarg, he doesn’t like any of his films.
Why has Govinda flopped?
Trying to foray into politics was one of the biggest mistakes of Govinda’s Bollywood career, as he eventually lost out on his stardom. Apart from politics, his immense indulgence in spirituality is also another reason for the downward streak in his career.
Why is Krishna called Govinda?
Since as Krishna, He was a cowherd, Krishna may also be referred to as Govinda. He is Govinda because He gives us the power of speech. It was Lord Narayana who suggested to Indra that he fashion the Vajrayudham from Dadichi’s backbone. The Vajrayudham is also called ‘Go’.
Is Govinda’s wife Sunita Nepali?
Sunita Ahuja was born to a Punjabi father and Nepali mother. She has an elder sister and a brother.
Is Govinda offered Avatar?
Govinda had said in an interview to journalist Rajat Sharma, on his show Aap Ki Adalat, that he was offered the lead role in director James Cameron’s 2009 blockbuster, Avatar. He rejected the film as he didn’t want to wear the body paint for hours (there was nobody paint involved).
Is Govinda a good actor?
Many fellow actors like Salman still consider Govinda to be the best actor from their generation but his choice of movies and his attitude to some extent unhinged his career. Govinda’s is a classic case that underlines the need for an actor, howsoever good, to constantly reinvent himself with time.