Gerard Pique is a Spanish professional footballer who was a member of the teams that won the 2010 FIFA World Cup and the 2012 UEFA Euros. Center-back for FC Barcelona and the Spain national team, he is one of four players to win the UEFA Champions League two years in a row with different clubs, the other three being Marcel Desailly, Paulo Sousa, and Samuel Eto’o. From an early age, he showed a strong interest in football and began his youth career at FC Barcelona’s academy when he was ten.
The young player exhibited great promise as a future football star for being an energetic, focused, and talented player. As he passed through the various youth levels, he developed the ability to adjust to various positions on the field. Despite his defensive position, he was renowned for scoring goals, a trait that would prove invaluable later in life. As a replacement for John O’Shea, he made his Manchester United debut in 2004. Gerard got a job offer from FC Barcelona a few years later, and that was the turning point in his career. The 2009 season marked his first appearance for Spain.
Gerard Piqué Wiki/Bio[table id=2551 /]
Gerard Piqué Bernabeu was born on 2 February 1987, in Barcelona, Spain, to Joan Piqué and Montserrat Bernabeu. As a businessman, his father runs a prestigious hospital for spinal injuries in Barcelona. He has one brother.
He began his football career in 1997 when he entered the FC Barcelona academy at the age of ten, joining the club’s youngest boys’ team at that time (Alevín B). He was one of the most reliable defenders for his team and practiced in the academy for several years, moving through various youth levels and age categories (Alevín A, Infantil B, and A, Cadete B, and A, and Juvenil B and TO). Along the way, he won numerous titles as a talented and hard-working youngster.
He grew into a skilled player while he was at the academy, demonstrating great versatility in his play. In addition to his defensive role, he was well known for his goals. The 2003–04 season ended with his departure from FC Barcelona.
In 2010, he appeared in the music video for the official song for the 2010 FIFA World Cup, “Waka Waka (This Time for Africa).” Shakira is his girlfriend. Two sons are born to the couple.
Gerard Piqué Net Worth
Gerard Piqué has a net worth of $85 million.[table id=2552 /]
Piqué is the founder and president of Kosmos Holdings, which has partnered with the International Tennis Federation to transform the Davis Cup into a global event. Billions of dollars have been invested in the Kosmos group by billionaire Larry Ellison. Piqué has acquired two Spanish clubs with this investment company: FC Andorra and Gimnàstic Manresa.
Gerard Piqué was exposed by the Spanish government for image rights fraud in 2019. To avoid paying taxes between 2008 and 2010, he allegedly fabricated a company to handle his image rights. He was ordered to pay the tax authorities over 2 million Euros as punishment.
Shakira and Piqué recently purchased a five-million euro mansion in Barcelona. There are 1,500 square meters of living space in the villa, located in Pedralbes, a historic district of the city. A private garden surrounds the mansion. As well as the swimming pool and the waterfall, the gardens are enclosed by dense trees, making them quite private. In addition to that, there are also incredible views of the city from the three-story home.
- During Manchester United’s win against Crewe Alexandra in the Carling Cup in October 2004, Gerard Pique made his team’s debut in place of John O’Shea as a center-back.
- In a Premier League game against West Ham United at Old Trafford in March 2006, he made his full debut for the team. He was taking Gary Neville’s place this time, who was hurt.
- During the 2006–07 season, Manchester United loaned him to La Liga side Real Zaragoza. During his time together with Gabriel Milito, he was able to play 22 games as both a keeper and holding midfielder. The majority of his time was spent on the bench, however.
- He had a memorable Champions League season with Manchester United in 2007-08. On 7 November 2007, he scored the first goal of Manchester United’s four against Dynamo Kyiv at home. On 12 December 2007, he scored the second goal against Roma away.
- A four-year contract with a €5 million buyout clause was signed with Barcelona in May 2008. During his first season with Barcelona, he made 45 appearances as a center-back, becoming the team’s first choice. In addition, he scored three goals.
- At the 2009 FIFA Club World Cup Final, he was part of the Barcelona team which defeated Argentine club Estudiantes 2–1. As Pedro Rodriguez’s equalizing goal took the match to extra time in the 89th minute, he played a key role in the match.
- In 2009, he was selected to play for the Spain national football team. Following an appearance in a friendly against England, he made his World Cup qualifying debut on May 19 against Turkey at the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium in Madrid as a replacement for injured team-mate Carles Puyol and scored the only goal for his team.
- During the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa, he was Spain’s first-choice center-back alongside Puyol. In seven World Cup matches, Spain conceded only twice thanks to his partnership with Puyol. In the tournament final, Spain defeated the Netherlands 1–0 and emerged victoriously.
- Additionally, he played for Barcelona and was part of the team that won the 2011 Champions League final 3-1 at Wembley Stadium, defeating Manchester United.
- Gerard Pique was a part of the Spanish national team that participated in the UEFA Euro 2012 campaign. He partnered Sergio Ramos in the center of defense and successfully converted the team’s third penalty in a semi-final shoot-out win over Portugal.
- During the 2013–14 season, he played 39 matches for the Barcelona team and he scored four goals. Two of them came in league games, while the other two came in UCL games. Unfortunately, he was hampered by injuries and ended up missing the crucial Copa del Rey Final against Real Madrid.
- He played 43 games for Barcelona in 2014-15.
Facts About Gerard Piqué
- Does Gerard Piqué smoke?: Yes
- Does Gerard Piqué take Alcohol?: Yes
- Piequé was born and raised in Barcelona, where his father Joan is a businessman and his mother Montserrat directs a prominent spinal injuries hospital.
- Barcelona FC’s former vice-president, Amador Bernabeu, is his grandfather.
- Having learned football skills at the Barcelona youth academy, Piqué joined the team at age 10.
- The couple has two sons together. Piqué and Shakira have been in a relationship since 2010. Shakira met him for the first time while she was working at Waka-Waka in 2010.
- Shakira is ten years older than Gerard Piqué.
- Piqué and Shakira were born on the same day.
- Mango is a Spanish clothing design and manufacturing company, and Piqué was the face of its men’s line HE for four consecutive campaign seasons from 2011 to 2012.
- A Spanish version of The Pirates featured his voice! In an Adventure with Scientists! as the Pirate King.
A Spanish national since February 2009, Piqué has represented his country 102 times. Spain’s 2010 World Cup and UEFA Euro 2012 winning teams included him as an integral member. The 2018 FIFA World Cup marked his final appearance for the national team.
In the end, he stayed at Marid so he could continue his studies at Harvard, which is none other than the University of Massachusetts in Boston. His master’s degree consists of three streams, and he is pursuing it in business, media, sports, and entertainment.
Ashton on Mersey School