Andrea Pirlo is an Italian professional football player who played a key role in the country’s World Cup victory in 2006. A set-piece and penalty-kick specialist, he is widely regarded as one of the greatest midfield playmakers of all time. As an attacking midfielder, he began his club career at various clubs, but his lack of pace often prevented him from breaking into the starting line-up. Brescia manager Carlo Mazzone made the innovative decision to use Pirlo as a deep-lying playmaker during his time there. Pirlo thrived in that role.
In addition to his outstanding, almost supernatural passing ability, he was a key player in A.C. Roma’s dominance of both the Italian and European football circuits. As a free agent in 2011, he joined Juventus and had a similarly productive run with them. 116 appearances make him the fourth most capped player for the Italian national team. He captained the bronze-medal-winning Italian team at the 2004 Summer Olympics. He currently plays for New York City FC in the United States.
Andrea Pirlo Bio/Wiki
|Birth Name||Andrea Pirlo|
|Nick Name||• The Architect (L’Architetto)|
• The Professor (Il Professore)
• The Metronome (Il Metronomo)
|Age||44 (as in 2023) Years|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Taurus|
|Birth Place||Flero, Lombardy, Italy|
|Date of Birth||19 May 1979|
|Residence||Flero, Lombardy, Italy|
|Home Town||Flero, Lombardy, Italy|
|Hobbies||Watching Movies, Playing guitar|
|Mother’s Name||Livia Pirlo (Housewife)|
|Father’s Name||Alberto Pirlo (Businessman and founder of Elg Steel Company)|
|Brothers||Ivan Pirlo (Brother) (Businessman, works as managing director of Elg Steel)|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Deborah Roversi (2001-2014) – Andrea Pirlo married Deborah Roversi in 2001 while playing on loan for Brescia while owned by Inter Milan. Although the exact date of their relationship is unknown, it is rumored that they met when Pirlo played for Brescia. Deborah gave birth to a son, Niccolo, almost two years after their wedding, and their daughter, Angela, was born in 2006. In 2014, Deborah discovered that her husband was having an affair with a real estate agent.|
Valentina Baldini (2014-Present) – Valentina Baldini appeared in tabloid reports in 2014 summer as it was reported that the married midfield teacher was having an affair behind her husband’s back. In the end, Pirlo gave Deborah, his wife of 13 years, a divorce and made his relationship with Valentina official. Pirlo reportedly met Baldini at the golf course and fell in love with her at first sight.
Marital Status, Wife and Children
|Marriage Date||21 June 2001|
|Divorce Date||28 May 2014|
|Children||Daughters- Angela Pirlo|
Sons- • Niccolò Pirlo
• Tommaso Pirlo
• Leonardo Pirlo
|School||Andrea Pirlo started his football education at the local Flero youth side. However, it is not known whether the academy took care of his formal education as well.|
After spending couple of years at Flero, he joined Voluntas academy. Until the age of 15, he stayed with Voluntas and took part in several youth competitions to hone his skills and game.
He then joined the Brescia youth setup in 1994. And, it was at Brescia that he graduated to the senior team at the age of 16.
|Educational Qualification||Not Available|
|Profession||Professional Football Player|
|Brands Endorsed||• Nike|
|Career Manager||TMP SOCCER srl agency.|
|Debut Club||• Pirlo played his first ever professional match at the age of 16 for Brescia in a Serie A match against Reggiana on May 21, 1995.|
• On September 20, 2001, he stepped out for the first time in AC Milan’s strip in a UEFA Cup match against BATE Borisov as a second half substitute for Massimo Donati.
• His first competitive appearance for Juventus came in Serie A match against Parma in a 4-1 win at Juventus Stadium with Pirlo delivering two assists.
• He made his debut for MLS club, New York City FC as a 56th minute substitute in 5-3 win against Orlando City at the Yankee Stadium on July 26, 2015.
|Debut International||His debut for Italy national team came against Azerbaijan in a Euro 2004 qualifying match on September 7, 2002 in a 2-0 victory.|
|Current Team(s)||Italian football coach|
|Jersey Number||Throughout his career, Pirlo has worn 21 numbered shirt for his various clubs as well as the national team.|
|Position||Deep Lying Playmaker|
• Through balls
• Controlling game tempo
• Long Shots
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 177 cm|
in meters- 1.77 m
in feet inches- 5’10”
|Weight (Approx.)||in kilograms- 68 kg|
in pounds- 150 lbs
|Chest Size||38 inches|
|Biceps Size||13 inches|
|Waist Size||32 inches|
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||White|
|Hair Color||Light Brown|
|Distinctive Features||• Long locks|
• Full beard
• Small and slight build
• Piercing stare
|Dress Size||Not Available|
|Shoe Size||9 U.S.|
|Favorite Playing Position||Midfielder|
|Favorite Car||Jeep Grand Cherokee|
|Favorite Football Club||Aston Villa|
|Favorite Inspiration||Andres Iniesta|
|Favorite Hobby||Sony PlayStation|
Pirlo was born on May 19, 1979, in Flero, a commune in the province of Brescia, Lombardy, Italy, to parents Luigi and Lidia. His brother is Ivan. Pirlo was a football protégé. Growing up, he played on the sand with his brother and friends in the seaside resort Viareggio in Tuscany, where his family spent holidays.
At the age of 13, he and his team, the ‘Voluntas Brescia U15s’, received international attention at the 1992 ‘Dana Cup’. Before being knocked out, they made it to the semi-finals.
In 2001, Andrea Pirlo married Deborah Roversi. They have two children together: son Niccolo is a 2003 baby and daughter Angela is a 2006 baby. It was a 13-year marriage before the couple divorced in 2014. Later, it was reported that Pirlo was having an affair with Valentina Baldini, a real estate agent he met at his golf club.
His autobiography, ‘Penso Quindi Gioco’ (I Think, Therefore I Play), was published on April 30, 2013, by ‘Arnoldo Mondadori Editore’. The book was consistently cited and brimming with charm and wit and was well-received by critics and fans alike.
Andrea Pirlo Net Worth
Andrea Pirlo has a net worth of $55 million.
|Estimated Net Worth in 2023 (Approx)||$55 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2022 (Approx)||$50 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2021 (Approx)||$35 Million|
|Annual Salary||$9.8 million|
|Income Source||Professional Footballer|
|Cars Collection||• Audi|
• Jeep Grand Cherokee
Pirlo earns an annual salary of up to £7.5 million (€8m/$9.8m) as head coach of Juventus, according to online sources. The Serie A side has signed Pirlo to a two-year contract worth £14 million (€15.5m/$18m) over two years.
As part of his contract, he is also expected to receive signing and tournament-winning bonuses, resulting in a salary of £16 million (€18m/$20m) over the course of two years at the Allianz.
It is slightly less than what other top-class coaches earn in lucrative divisions such as the Premier League.
Compared to Jose Mourinho’s salary at Tottenham, Pep Guardiola earns £15 million (€16.5m/$18.5m) a year as Manchester City manager. Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp is reported to earn £10 million (€11m/$12.5m) annually.
Pirlo has had previous deals with the likes of Nike throughout his playing career and beyond, which included a special limited edition of the Nike Tiempo Legend 6 boot released specifically for the ex-midfielder. As part of the Andrea Pirlo Project, Juventus’ head coach also has a partnership with Rolex, which has released his own Submariner watch.
Pirlo was involved in a number of charities during his playing career and after retirement, playing in high-profile charity football matches in support of a variety of organizations – including the Piedmontese Foundation for Cancer Research. He has shown his support for the fight against racism in football by joining other FIFA legends in their fight against discrimination.
- At the age of 16, Andrea Pirlo played his first ‘Serie A’ game against Reggiana on May 21, 1995, for Brescia. Mircea Lucescu, coach of Inter Milan, was impressed by his play, and he brought him into his squad. He wasn’t a very productive player for the club; he wasn’t often seen on the field.
- For the 1999-2000 season, Inter temporarily loaned him to Reggina, and he turned out to be very good.
- During the next season, he was once again loaned out, this time to Brescia, his former club. Coach Carlo Mazzone was the first coach to put him in front of the defense. He led the team to a respectable seventh place in the league while playing alongside his childhood idol, Roberto Baggio.
- He was purchased by AC Milan from Inter after spending three seasons on Inter’s books. There he met the team’s manager Carlo Ancelotti who would guide his career in a new direction that would ultimately make him a world-class player. It was against the Belarusian team ‘BATE Borisov’ in the UEFA Cup on September 20, 2001, that he made his debut for the team. The match ended in a 2-0 victory for Milan.
- He won two ‘Serie A ‘titles (2004 and 2011), two ‘UEFA Champions Leagues’ (2003 and 2007), and two ‘UEFA Super Cups’ (2003 and 2007) as a midfielder for Milan throughout the next decade. During his time with the club, he played 401 matches and scored 41 goals.
- He left Milan after reaching a mutual agreement with the club in 2011. Juventus signed him on a free transfer and he debuted in Serie A with a 4-1 win over Parma.
- Before Pirlo came to Juventus, the team had been trophyless since 2003. He brought four Serie A titles (2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015), two Supercoppa Italiana titles (2012 and 2013), and a Coppa Italia (2015) to the club. He played in 164 matches for them and scored 19 goals.
- After signing with New York City FC in 2015, he has been with the Major League Soccer team to date.
- The Italian U21 team’s captain, Andrea Pirlo, earned the best player and top scorer awards during the 2000 ‘European Championship’. At the 2004 Summer Olympics, he won the Bronze medal. He was in Italy’s Olympic squads in 2000 and 2004.
- At 23, he made his senior debut in a 2-0 win against Azerbaijan. As part of his country’s 2006 World Cup qualifying campaign, he played an important role.
- On July 4, he scored Italy’s opening goal against Ghana and helped Fabio Grosso open the scoring against Germany in the semi-finals.
- In the final against France on July 9, he continued his stellar play. After a hard-fought match, it went to a penalty shootout after both teams could not break the 1-1 deadlock. It was he who took the first spot-kick from the Italian side, successfully converting it into a goal. The Italians won the match and became World Champions for the first time in 24 years. In both the semi-final and final matches, Pirlo was named the ‘Man of the Match.
- In the 2012 Euro Cup, he served as the vice-captain to Gianluigi Buffon. They beat England, Ireland, and Germany to reach the final where they lost to Spain 4-0.
- Despite having announced his retirement from international football after the 2014 World Cup, he returned to the Italian squad for the 2016 European Cup qualifiers. The move to the US, however, had unintended consequences. On May 23, 2016, it was announced that he had not been selected for the 30-man Euro 2016 squad.
Facts About Andrea Pirlo
- In lower Brescia, he owns a vineyard and winery, Pratum Coller, that produces around 15–20,000 bottles per year of white and red wine.
- In 2000, he was the captain of the Italian team at the UEFA European Under-21 Championship. The Italian team won the tournament and Pirlo won the Golden Player award.
- In the final of the 2006 FIFA World Cup, which they won on penalties, he was named player of the match.
- Three times he has been voted Serie A Footballer of the Year – in 2012, 2013, and 2014.
- Before Brescia manager Carlo Mazzone moved him to a deep midfield position in his career, he was primarily an advanced playmaker or support striker.
- Pirlo briefly considered retiring from football after his side AC Milan lost the Champions League final on penalties to Liverpool in 2005 after leading the match with three goals by halftime.
- Andrea Pirlo is one of only a few Italian players to have played for the three most successful clubs in the league, Inter Milan, AC Milan, and Juventus.
- During his time at AC Milan, he won two Serie A titles, two UEFA Champions Leagues, and one Coppa Italia cup.
- With an $8 million salary, he became the highest-paid Italian player across all professional leagues on July 6, 2015.
- Andrea Pirlo became the first-ever MLS player to be selected for the FIFPRO World XI in November 2015.
- At the 2012 UEFA Euro, he and Spanish midfielder Andres Iniesta both won three Man of the Match awards.
- Almost moved to Chelsea in 2009 after his former coach Carlo Ancelotti joined the English side and placed a $12 million bid that was ultimately rejected by AC Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi.
- Having played 116 times for the Italian national team, Pirlo is the fourth-most capped player in the history of the team behind Paolo Maldini, Fabio Cannavaro, and Gianluigi Buffon.
- He won four consecutive Serie A titles with Juventus from 2011-2012, 2012-2013, 2013-2014, and 2014-2015, and one Coppa Italia cup from 2014-15, as well as two Supercoppa Italiana titles from 2012 and 2013.
- In March 2015, he was inducted into the AC Milan Hall of Fame for his contributions to the club during his 10-year stay.
- For four seasons, he has been named to the Serie A Team of the Year – 2011-2012, 2012-2013, 2013-2014, and 2014-2015.
- After the 2012 UEFA Euro, he was inducted into the team of the tournament, and the UEFA Euro All-Time XI was selected in 2016.
- Growing up, Pirlo’s idol was the German midfielder Lothar Herbert Matthäus, who Pirlo admired for his goal-scoring skills from the number 10 position.
- Against Torino, he scored a free-kick goal on April 26, 2015, which put him at the top of the list for most free-kick goals. Both have scored 28 goals from free-kicks.
- In the summer of 2010, Catalan coach Pep Guardiola invited Pirlo to his office and asked him if he would like to join Barcelona, which Pirlo was keen on, but AC Milan refused to budge.
- Pirlo draws inspiration from Brazilian star Juninho Pernambucano when it comes to free kicks. He developed his technique while sitting on the toilet.
Andrea Pirlo is married to Deborah Roversi.
Pirlo spent the 2020-21 season coaching Juventus where he won the Coppa Italia and Supercoppa Italiana titles with a team that included FC Dallas academy product and USMNT midfielder Weston McKennie. A former AC Milan and Juventus player, Pirlo still keeps an eye on the league.
Andrea Pirlo retired from the game in 2017, at the end of a stint in MLS with New York City FC, his sense of style on and off the pitch earning him the reputation as the sport’s “King of Cool”.