Sean Penn is an American actor and film producer. He is as remarkable for his acting intelligence as for his controversies. Hollywood has noticed many stars, but not many are as controversial as Sean Penn. Debuting his film career in the 1980s, Penn was all set to settle a career in Hollywood. However, his life took a beautiful turn when he wedded pop singer Madonna. What followed was a series of controversial issues that even got him in jail. This was a big fluctuation from his film career. After an interval from acting, Penn revived himself and made an inspiring comeback.
He proved his acting talent by winning the coveted ‘Academy Award’ twice, for his characters in ‘Mystic River’ and ‘Milk.’ He tried into direction with the movie ‘The Indian Runner’ and went on to direct certain other successful films. In inclusion to his acting, he is also recognized for his political involvement and humanitarian work. In 2005, he visited New Orleans to aid ‘Hurricane Katrina’ victims. Penn began the ‘J/P Haitian Relief Organization’ after the 2010 Haiti earthquake. In 2012, he inspected the flood-stricken villages of Pakistan which gave him powerful media attention.
Sean Penn Wiki/Bio
|Birth Name||Sean Justin Penn|
|Age||(as in 2023) 63 years|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Leo|
|Birth Place||Santa Monica, California, United States|
|Date of Birth||17 August 1960|
|Residence||Point Dume Enclave, Riviera Beach, U.S.|
|Home Town||Santa Monica|
|Mother’s Name||Eileen Ryan (née Annucci) (Actress)|
|Father’s Name||Leo Penn (Actor, Director)|
|Brother||• Michael Penn (Older Brother) (Musician)|
• Chris Penn (Younger Brother) (Actor) (Died from heart disease in 2006)
|Others||• Moische /Maurice Daniel Penn (Paternal Grandfather)|
• Elizabeth M. Melincoff (Paternal Grandmother)
• Americus William Annucci (Maternal Grandfather)
• Rose Isabel Ryan (Maternal Grandmother)
• Aimee Mann (Sister-In-Law) (Singer, Songwriter) (Wife of Michael Penn)
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Elizabeth McGovern (1983-1984) |
Barbara Hershey (1984)
Susan Sarandon (1984)
Jewel Kilcher (1995)
Emily Lloyd (1995)
Elle Macpherson (1996)
Petra Nemcova (2008, 2012)
Jessica White (2009-2010)
Valeria Golino (2011)
Scarlett Johansson (2011)
Garcelle Beauvais (2011)
Shannon Costello (2011-2013)
Calu Rivero (2012)
Charlize Theron (2013-2015)
Minka Kelly (2015)
Leila George D’Onofrio (2016-Present)
Marital Status, Wife and Children
|Wife/Spouse||• Robin Wright (m. 1996–2010)|
• Madonna (m. 1985–1989)
|Marriage Date||• April 27, 1996 (Robin Wright)|
• August 16, 1985 (Madonna)
|Children||• Daughter- Dylan Frances Penn|
• Son- Hopper Jack Penn
|School||Monica High School in California|
|Educational Qualification||Dropped From High School|
|Profession||Actor, Filmmaker, Writer, Director|
|Brands Endorsed||World Food Programme|
|Career Manager||ID Public Relations|
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 173 cm|
in meters- 1.73 m
in feet inches- 5’8”
|Weight (Approx.)||in kilograms- 70 kg|
in pounds- 154 lbs
|Chest Size||Not Available|
|Hips Size||Not Available|
|Waist Size||Not Available|
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||White|
|Hair Color||Dark Brown|
|Dress Size||Not Available|
|Shoe Size||9 (U.S.)|
|Favorite Musical||The Lion King|
|Favorite Authors||• James Thurber|
• Salman Rushdie
• Christopher Hitchens
• Douglas Brinkley
• Richard Ford
• Philip Roth
• Cormac McCarthy
• Charles Bukowski
|Favorite Books||• You Can’t Win by Jack Black|
• The Knockout Artist by Harry Crews
• Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer
• Every Love Story Is a Ghost Story: A Life of David Foster Wallace by D.T. Max
• Recital of the Dog by David Rabe
• Ghost Wars by Steve Coll
• The Lost Steps by Alejo Carpentier
|Controversies||Penn landed himself in controversy again when he came to present the award for Best Picture during the 87th Academy Awards in 2015. |
Before revealing the winning picture to be of Birdman, he joked about its Mexican director Alejandro González Iñárritu, stating, ‘Who gave this son of a b*tch his green card?’ His off-handed comment was deemed racist and offensive but Alejandro, who has worked with Penn in 21 Grams (2003), himself brushed it aside as a joke between 2 friends.
Sean Penn was born on 17 August 1960, in Santa Monica, California, USA. His father director Leo Penn and actress mother Eileen Ryan. He had two siblings (Brothers) are Michael Penn, a musician, and Chris Penn, an actor. Chris Penn died in 2006.
Heightened in a secular home, Penn went to ‘Santa Monica High School’ and was soon forming short films with his neighborhood friends. A passion for filmmaking, especially directing, led to Penn’s passion for acting, which incorporated several early TV parts.
He propelled to New York City at the age of 19 and soon landed a part in a Broadway play, Heartland. In 1981, he made his film debut alongside growing star Tom Cruise and Academy Award champion Timothy Hutton in the military institute drama Taps.
Sean Penn Net Worth
Sean Penn has a net worth of $80 million.
|Estimated Net Worth in 2023 (Approx)||$80 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2022 (Approx)||$70 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2021 (Approx)||Under Review|
|Annual Salary||Under Review|
|Income Source||Actor, Filmmaker, Writer, Director|
From the 1980s to the mid-1990s, Sean resided in Los Angeles, with homes in Malibu and the Hollywood Hills. After a series of fires and break-ins, in 1996 he and freshly married Robin paid $2.1 million for a home in Ross, Ca, 30 minutes north of San Francisco in Marin County.
They advanced to function a massive overhaul renovation of the 2.2-acre property which is spotted across the street from a police station. After begun divorce proceedings, the former couple listed the home for auction in 2008 for $15 million, just before the real estate bubble burst.
They finally accepted $8 million in January 2010. After the divorce was filed, Sean paid $3.8 million for a home in Malibu, California, in May 2009. He classified this home for sale in 2015 for $6.55 million. As of this writing, he still owns the property.
Sean Penn Movies And Tv Shows
- Penn first materialized in roles as strong-headed or uncontrollable boyhoods such as the militant cadet preserving his academy against closure in Taps (1981), then as eloquent surfer stoner Jeff Spicoli in Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982).
- Viewers and experts were enthused about his undeniable capacity and he next contributed a starry performance alongside Timothy Hutton in the Cold War spy thriller The Falcon and the Snowman (1985), pursued by a grouping with icy Christopher Walken in the chilling At Close Range (1986).
- The youthful Penn then married up with his then-wife, pop singer Madonna in the woeful, and painful, Shanghai Surprise (1986), which was declined by the critics, but Sean jumped back with an enormous job as a hot-headed young sheriff in Colors (1988), gave another scald performance as a US soldier in Vietnam executing atrocities in Casualties of War (1989) and materialized alongside Robert De Niro in the irregular comedy We‘re No Angels (1989).
- However, the 1990s was the decade in which Sean really got acknowledged by critics as a mature, talented, and accomplished actor, with a string of influential performances in first-class films.
- Almost indistinguishable with frizzy hair and thin-rimmed glasses, Penn was simply sparkled as unscrupulous lawyer David Kleinfeld in the Brian De Palma gangster movie Carlito’s Way (1993) and he was still in predicament with authority as a Death Row convict responding with a caring nun to save his life in Dead Man Walking (1995), for which he earned his first Oscar nomination.
- Sean then performed the brother of wealthy Michael Douglas, suggesting him in a mind-snapping scheme in The Game (1997) and also docked the lead role of Sgt. Eddie Walsh in the star-studded anti-war film The Thin Red Line (1998), before completing the 1990s performing an offbeat jazz musician (and scoring another Oscar nomination) in Sweet and Lowdown (1999).
- The brilliant and talented Sean had also moved into directing, with the unconventional but interesting The Indian Runner (1991), about two brothers with tremendously opposing views on life, and in 1995 he directed Jack Nicholson in The Crossing Guard (1995). Both films earned overall positive reviews from critics.
- Migrating into the new century, Sean lived busy in front of the cameras with even more remarkable work: a mentally handicapped father fighting for custody of his seven-year-old daughter (and receiving a third Oscar nomination) for I Am Sam (2001), an anguished father seeking retribution for his daughter’s murder in the gut-wrenching Clint Eastwood-directed Mystic River (2003) (for which he earned the Oscar as Best Actor).
- Then he showed a critically ill college professor in 21 Grams (2003) and an acquired businessman in The Assassination of Richard Nixon (2004).
- Certainly, Sean Penn is one of Hollywood’s most controversial, dynamic and accomplished actors.
The Beaver Kid 2
|1982||Fast Times at Ridgemont High|
Racing with the Moon
|1985||The Falcon and the Snowman|
|1986||At Close Range|
Judgment in Berlin
|1989||Casualties of War|
We’re No Angels
|1990||State of Grace|
|1995||Dead Man Walking|
She’s So Lovely
The Thin Red Line
|1999||Being John Malkovich|
Sweet and Lowdown
|2000||Up at the Villa|
Before Night Falls
The Weight of Water
|2001||The Beaver Trilogy|
I Am Sam
|2003||Pauly Shore Is Dead|
It’s All About Love
|2004||The Assassination of Richard Nixon|
|2006||All the King’s Men|
|2008||What Just Happened|
|2010 ||Fair Game|
|2011||The Tree of Life|
This Must Be the Place
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
|2016||The Angry Birds Movie|
Sound of Sun
|2019||The Professor and the Madman|
TV Shows & Serials List
|1974||Little House on the Prairie|
|1981||The Killing of Randy Webster|
|1998||The Larry Sanders Show|
|2004||Viva La Bam|
Two and a Half Men
|2020||Curb Your Enthusiasm|
- Penn delivered his first novel, Bob Honey Who Just Do Stuff, in March 2018.
- His marriage to Madonna generated a huge media frenzy and he became violent against the press during this time. He was charged with assault against a photographer on the set of a film in mid-1987. He served 33 days in prison from his original 60-days sentence for the said assault.
- In November 1993, Penn lost his home, which he was sharing with his then-partner Robin Wright, to the infamous Malibu fires.
- In October 1997, he was included in Empire (UK) magazine’s list of ”Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time” at the 76th spot.
- Sean named his son, Hopper Jack Penn, after 2 of his closest friends – actors Dennis Hopper and Jack Nicholson.
- He had been a chain smoker for many years before finally kicking the habit when he turned 40 due to health concerns. At the height of his addiction, he would smoke around 4 packs of cigarettes in a day and be known as one of the heaviest smokers in Hollywood.
- In October 2002, he purchased an ad in the Washington Post worth $56,000 to pen an open letter to then-President George W. Bush. In the letter, he asked Bush to stop the attack on Iraq and put an end to the cycle of violence. His move was motivated by his role as a father to his 2 children and as a son of a World War II veteran.
- His father, Leo Penn, was one of the Hollywood celebrities to be blacklisted in the 1950s for his political stance.
In 2004, Premiere magazine ranked his role as Jeff Spicoli in the 1982 film, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, on the 9th spot in the list of 100 Greatest Movie Characters of All Time.
- Penn is an ardent surf enthusiast.
- He is one of the few actors who has won an acting prize at the top 3 film festivals. He achieved the rare feat of bagging the 3 awards in consecutive years from 1996 to 1998 for his roles in Dead Man Walking at the Berlin Film Festival, She’s So Lovely at the Cannes Film Festival, and Hurlyburly at the Venice Film Festival. The other actors to win an award at these major film festivals are Julianne Moore, Jack Lemmon, and Juliette Binoche.
- He has won the Academy Award for Best Actor twice for Mystic River (2003) and Milk (2008). Apart from these, until 2018, he has been nominated in the same category 3 times for Dead Man Walking (1995), Sweet and Lowdown (1999), and I Am Sam (2001).
- He is a huge follower of the martial art technique, Jeet Kune Do, popularized by Bruce Lee.
- On his visit to Cuba in October 2008, Penn met with President Raúl Castro and also interviewed him.
- In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in 2005, he visited New Orleans, Louisiana to aid the rescue of victims.
- Although he was physically involved in the mission, his efforts drew criticism as his entourage also included a photographer which led many to conclude that it was a PR stunt.
- He was appointed as the Ambassador-at-Large for Haiti on January 31, 2012, by President Michel Martelly for his rescue efforts following the 2010 Haiti earthquake. He became the first non-Haitian citizen to hold that designation in the country’s history. Penn set up the J/P Haitian Relief Organization which managed the successful rehabilitation of people left homeless by the earthquake.
- He was involved in getting American entrepreneur Jacob Ostreicher released from his imprisonment in Bolivia in 2013.
- In September 2015, director Lee Daniels supported Terrence Howard against his domestic violence allegations by stating that actors like Sean Penn have also behaved in a similar way. In response, Penn filed a $10 million defamation lawsuit against Daniels stating that he had never been arrested with charges of domestic violence.
- However, in May 2016, Penn dropped the lawsuit after Daniels apologized and retracted his statement.
- When drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzmán was finally arrested in January 2016, Rolling Stone published his secret interview conducted by Sean Penn and Mexican actress Kate del Castillo while he was on the run. The Obama administration criticized Penn for failing to help authorities recapture Guzmán after his escape in 2015.
Penn Was Alleged To Have Struck Madonna On Multiple Occasions, But In 2015 Madonna Stated The Allegations Were “Completely Outrageous, Malicious, Reckless, And False”.
In A Preview Of His March 25 Interview With ‘CBS Sunday Morning,’ The Actor, Who Is Set To Release His First Novel, Says He Enjoys Writing More. Sean Penn Is Over Acting. In An Interview With CBS Sunday Morning, Set To Air March 25, The Two-time Academy Award Winner Reveals That He Doesn’t Enjoy Acting Anymore.
His Paternal Grandparents Were Jewish Emigrants From The Russian Empire, While His Mother Is A Catholic Of Irish And Italian Descent. Penn Was Raised In A Secular Home And Attended Santa Monica High School.
Four Years, You Don’t Compare Those Things!” “People Compare Them All The Time,” Colbert Noted Before Asking If He Would Choose Madonna, To Which Penn Replied, “Sure.” The Couple Was Married For Four Years And Starred Together In Shanghai Surprise Before Their Divorce In 1989.
She Insisted To The Journal That There Was Nothing Messy Or Sensational About Their Split. “We Were In A Relationship And Then It Didn’t Work Anymore,” Theron Told The Journal. “And We Both Decided To Separate. That’s It.”
Satellite Special Achievement Award For Outstanding New Talent, Critics’ Choice Movie Award For Best Young Performer, Producers Guild Of America Award – Stanley Kramer Award.
After Breaking Up And Getting Back Together, Wright And Penn Married In 1996. On August 12, 2009, Wright Filed For Divorce, Declaring She Had No Plans To Reconcile. The Divorce Was Finalized On July 22, 2010.
September 14, 1989