Aron Einar Malmquist Gunnarsson (born 22 April 1989) famously known as Aron Gunnarsson is an Icelandic professional footballer playing for Al-Arabi and captaining the Icelandic national team. He can play either as a defensive midfielder or as a central midfielder. He began his career at Þór Akureyri and played one match for Dutch club AZ before joining Coventry City in 2008.
In three seasons with them, he appeared in 133 matches and scored seven goals. With Cardiff City, he finished runner-up in the 2012 Football League Cup Final and played in the 2013–14 Premier League. With over 90 caps for Iceland, Aron made his senior debut in 2008 and made his international debut in 2009. Iceland’s captain since mid-2012, he led the team to the quarterfinals at their first major tournament, UEFA Euro 2016.
Aron Gunnarsson Bio/Wiki
The table below reveals concise information about Aron Gunnarsson. It gives you the ability to read through the Icelandic footballer’s profile as fast as possible.
|Birth Name||Aron Einar Malmquist Gunnarsson|
|Nick Name/Popular Name||Aron Gunnarsson|
|Age||34 (as in 2023) Years|
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Taurus|
|Born Place||Akureyri, Iceland|
|Date of Birth||22 April 1989|
|Home Town||Akureyri, Iceland|
|Hobbies||Watching Movies, Horse Riding, Swimming|
|Mother's Name||Jona Arnorsdottir|
|Father's Name||Not Available|
|Brother(s)||Arnor Thor Gunnarsson|
Marital Status, Wife and Children
Sons- • Tristan Aronsson
• Oliver Aronsson
• Alexander Aronsson
|Educational Qualification||Not Available|
|Career Manager/ Player Agent||ICM Stellar Sports|
|Debut Club||• 2019: Al-Arabi SC|
|Debut International||• 2008: Iceland national football team|
|Jersey Number||• 17 (Al-Arabi SC)|
• 17 (Iceland national football team)
|Current Team(s)||• Al-Arabi SC|
• Iceland national football team
|Position||Midfield - Central Midfielder|
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 177 cm|
in meters- 1.77 m
in feet inches- 5'10”
|Weight (Approx.)||in kilograms- 70 kg|
in pounds- 154 lbs
|Chest Size||42 inches|
|Biceps Size||12 inches|
|Waist Size||30 inches|
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||Icelandic|
|Distinctive Features||Not Available|
|Dress Size||8 U.S.|
|Shoe Size||9 U.S.|
|Favorite Playing Position||Midfielder|
|Favorite Car||Not Available|
|Favorite Food||Fruits and Veg|
|Favorite Player||Not Available|
|Favorite Pet Animal||Dog|
|Favorite Cell Phone/Brand||Iphone|
Aron Gunnarsson Net Worth
In 2023, what will Aron Gunnarsson’s salary be?
In Jul 2019 Aron Gunnarsson signed a contract with Al-Arabi SC that extended in Jun 2022, ends in 2023, and netted him a whopping salary of £1,250,000 per year. We have crunched the numbers, this means he earns £3,425 per day and £143 per hour!
Salary & Net Worth Updated 2023
|Estimated Net Worth in 2023 (Approx)||$2 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2022 (Approx)||$1.5 Million|
|Estimated Net Worth in 2021 (Approx)||Not Available|
|Annual or Per Year Salary||£1,250,000|
|Per Month Salary||£104,167|
|Per Week Salary||£24,038|
|Per Day Salary||£3,425|
|Per Hour Salary||£143|
|Per Minute Salary||£2.4|
|Current Contract||With Al-Arabi SC|
|Contract Signed||Jul 1, 2019|
|Contract Expires||Jun 30, 2023|
|Contract Signing Amount or Transfer Fee||$2.75 Million|
|Market Value||$880 Thousand|
|Highest Market Value||$3.30 Million (Jul 11, 2013)|
|Income Source||Professional Footballer|
|Cars Collection||Not Available|
His stock is on the rise thanks to his performances on the pitch. As of 2023, he has an estimated net worth of around $2 Million, and his market value is about $880 thousand.
Aron Gunnarsson FIFA 22 Stats – Potential And Rating
Al-Arabi SC’s Aron Gunnarsson is 34 years old and plays as a Defensive Midfielder. In FIFA 22, he has an overall rating of 69 with a potential rating of 69. The skillmoves rating for Gunnarsson is 3-stars.
Aron Gunnarsson FIFA 22 Stats
Overall Rating In FIFA 22
Potential In FIFA 22
|65||Heading Accuracy||58||FK Accuracy|
|67||Short Passing||67||Long Passing|
|68||Defensive Awareness||68||Sliding Tackle|
His right foot is his preferred shooting foot. He works at a medium to high pace. Our database estimates Gunnarsson’s height at 177 cm and his weight at 70 kg. Aron Gunnarsson currently plays with jersey number 17.
In his native Iceland, Aron began playing football on gravel pitches. Due to snow and ice, Aron played handball instead of football during the winter months, making three appearances in the Icelandic handball League.
In 2005, he began training all year round with Kamur Akureyri, after investments in indoor pitches by the Icelandic government.
As a seventeen-year-old, Aron joined the AZ youth academy in the Netherlands. Initially homesick, he settled in the country and made his debut in 2007–08.
- Aron joined the English Championship team Coventry City on 17 June 2008 for an undisclosed fee.
- Coventry won 2–0 against Norwich City on the opening day of the Championship season.
- He scored his first career goal against Premier League side Blackburn Rovers on 14 February 2009.
- In March, Coventry City offered Aron an improved deal following Premier League interest.
- Crystal Palace was his first league goal. Aron was voted Coventry City Supporters’ Player of the Year and Community Award winner after his first season in England.
- Aron changed his shirt number from 12 to 17 the following season to mirror his brother’s squad number.
- In the following season, he made 42 appearances for Coventry and scored one goal against Middlesbrough.
- As the 2010–11 season began, Coventry City seemed to be pushing for play-offs.
- Despite losing 3-1 to newly promoted Millwall, Aron opened his season’s goal-scoring count.
- He scored his first goal against Preston North End at Coventry City’s home ground, the Ricoh Arena.
- Three days later, Aron scored again against Doncaster Rovers.
- On 10 December, Aron expressed his desire to stay at Coventry.
- The following week, he was sent off for the first time in his career.
- At the end of the season, Coventry gave him a deadline to sign a new contract between his agent and the club.
- His agent confirmed that Cardiff City was the favorite to sign Aron after Aron and his agent failed to agree on a deal with Coventry.
Aron Gunnarsson At Cardiff City
- Gunnarsson joined Cardiff City on a free transfer on 8 July 2011, becoming Malky Mackay’s fifth signing.
- Due to his age, Coventry was entitled to compensation.
- He played the full 90 minutes against West Ham United in the first match of the new season on 7 August.
- After ten minutes against Bristol City, Aron limped off with an ankle injury, sidelining him for a week.
- He returned from the September international break, insisting his injury was behind him.
- Aron scored two goals against Barnsley on 22 October, winning the man of the match award.
- In the 2012 Football League Cup Final, City lost 3–2 on penalties to Premier League club Liverpool at Wembley Stadium.
- Cardiff’s first Premier League goal came against Manchester City on 25 August 2013.
- A new contract was signed with the club in June 2015, until 2018.
- After returning from Euro 2016, Derby County and Norwich City were reported to be interested in Aron.
- Cardiff City manager, Paul Trollope, described him as “an important player”.
- At the end of the season, he won the club’s Player of the Year award under Trollope and Neil Warnock.
- Throughout the first half of the following season, Aron struggled to secure a place in the starting eleven.
- A new contract was offered to him despite his injury problems, but he rejected it.
- In the final run-in, Aron scored the winning goal against Nottingham Forest and helped Cardiff gain promotion.
- He signed a new one-year deal in July.
Aron Gunnarsson Transfer To Qatar Stars League Club Al-Arabi
- Aron will leave the club at the end of the season and join Qatar Stars League club Al-Arabi.
- He joined Al-Arabi in July 2019. An additional year was added to his contract in June 2022.
- Aron made his Icelandic debut on 2 February 2008.
- Aron was called up for the 2011 European Under-21 Championship Iceland squad. Iceland beat Denmark 3-1 in the first match.
- Then Aron was sent off in Belarus’ 2–0 loss.
- Two losses saw Iceland leave the tournament via a tie-breaker.
- Since debuting, Aron has been a regular in the senior side despite helping the U-21 side qualify for the UEFA Under-21 Championship.
- Before his 29th cap, Aron was named permanent captain of the national team in August 2012 at the young age of 23.
- Iceland qualified for the play-off round of FIFA World Cup qualification for the first time under his captaincy, losing to Croatia 2–0 on aggregate.
- Iceland’s 3–0 away win against Latvia in UEFA Euro 2016 qualifying marked Aron’s first senior international goal.
- In a 2–1 defeat of the Czech Republic on 12 June 2015, he scored again.
- After a goalless draw with Kazakhstan at Laugardalsvöllur in Reykjavk on 6 September, he was sent off for Iceland.
- In France, Aron captained Iceland at their first major international tournament, the UEFA Euro 2016.
- Cristiano Ronaldo agreed to trade shirts with him in the dressing room after their first match, a 1–1 draw with Portugal.
- Aside from beating Austria and drawing Hungary, Iceland also knocked out England in the round of 16 after finishing second in their group.
- France defeated them 5–2 in the quarterfinals. All five games were played by Aron.
- For the 2018 World Cup in Russia, he was named to Iceland’s 23-man squad in May 2018.
Facts About Aron Gunnarsson
- Arnór Thor Gunnarsson, his older brother, plays handball for Iceland’s national team.
- Depending on the situation, he can play at right-back or in central midfield.
- After playing one game for Dutch club AZ, he joined the English club Coventry City in 2008.
- A runner-up in the 2012 Football League Cup Final and a Premier League player in 2013–14, he played 133 games and scored seven goals for them.
- Over 60 caps have been earned by Aron for Iceland since he made his senior debut in 2008.
- Since mid-2012, he has been Iceland’s captain, leading them to the quarterfinals at their first major tournament, the UEFA Euro 2016.
How old is Aron Gunnarsson?
Aron Gunnarsson is 34 years old.
How tall is Aron Gunnarsson?
Aron Gunnarsson is 177 cm tall.
Which is Aron Gunnarsson’s preferred foot?
Aron Gunnarsson’s preferred foot is right.
Where is Aron Gunnarsson from?
Aron Gunnarsson is from Iceland.
After reading his biography, you will agree with me that Aron Gunnarsson worked so hard to achieve success. Even poor kids from the slum can dream big and achieve their dreams thanks to him.
It is important to note that his father and mother were crucial catalysts in his success story. His career life would not be the same without their contributions. They deserve all the accolades for what they have done.
In addition, his sibling’s and friends’ efforts should not be overlooked. As a result of them, he never experienced loneliness or depression during his childhood. Aron Gunnarsson has grown into a cheerful youth as a result of them.
Here Is An Appreciation Note For Your Consideration
Thank you for reading this engaging article about the life journey of the Icelandic footballer. Hopefully, Aron Gunnarsson’s childhood story has made you believe that patience and persistence can overcome anything.
At WoodGram, we strive for fairness and accuracy in our biographies. Feel free to contact us or leave a comment below if you found anything fishy in the article on Aron Gunnarsson.