Abu Salem ( born Abu Salem Abdul Qayoom Ansari; also known as Aqil Ahmed Azmi, Captain, and Abu Samaan, among others) is a gangster originally from Azamgarh district in the Uttar Pradesh state of India. He tried his hand on different labor works before joining organized criminal activities in Mumbai under the Dawood gang. He was involved in several murders, extortion, and other cases. He was later arrested in 2002 in Portugal and extradited to India. He was tried and convicted in some cases and was awarded life imprisonment in 2015.
Salem is infamous for terrorizing the Bollywood film industry by extorting money from film producers and usurping the overseas distribution rights. It is believed that Salem was the mastermind behind threatening Bollywood film producers like Gulshan Kumar, Subhash Ghai, Rajiv Rai, and Rakesh Roshan. While his gang members assassinated Gulshan Kumar in 1997, they also tried to assassinate Rajiv Rai and Rakesh Roshan but failed. After the assassination of music baron and film producer, he was also involved in several murders, extortion, and other cases. He was later arrested in 2002 in Portugal and extradited to India. He was arrested on charges of Fake passport. He was tried and convicted in some cases and was awarded life imprisonment in 2015.
Abu Salem from Uttar Pradesh, also known as Aqil Ahmed Azmi, ‘and Abu Samaan, is a gangster and terrorist convicted to 25 years of a life sentence and hails from Azamgarh district in the Uttar Pradesh state of India. Abu Salem worked in the D-Company (Dawood Ibrahim gang) as a driver transporting weapons and contraband. Later he rose among the ranks after he introduced a new strategy of hiring unemployed youths from his hometown Azamgarh to come to Mumbai, execute shoot-outs and return to Azamgarh the next day remaining untraced by the Mumbai police.
|Birth Name||Abu Salem Abdul Qayoom Ansari|
|Nick Name||Aqil Ahmed Azmi, Captain, Abu Samaan|
|Age||(as in 2023) According to Mumbai Police: 61 Years|
According to CBI: 54 Years
|Sun Sign/Zodiac Sign||Not Known|
|Birth Place||Sarai Mir village of Azamgarh district, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Date of Birth||According to Mumbai Police: 1962|
According to CBI: 1969
|Home Town||Azamgarh district, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Mother's Name||Name Not Known|
|Father's Name||Name Not Known (Lawyer)|
|Brother||Abu Hatim Aka Chunchun miyan (elder brother), Abu Jaish, Abu Lais|
Monica Bedi (Actress)
Marital Status, Wife and Children
|Wife/Spouse||Samira Jumani (m. 1991)|
Sayed Kausar Bahar (m.2014)
|Marriage Date||Not Known|
|Children||Son - 2 (from Samira Jumani)|
Daughter- Not Known
|School||A Primary School in Azamgarh, Uttar Pradesh|
|College/University||Did Not Attend|
|Educational Qualification||12th Standard|
|Biggest Rivals||Chhota Shakeel, Dawood Ibrahim|
Height, Weight, and Figure Measurements
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm|
in meters- 1.68 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 6”
|Weight (Approx.)||in Kilograms- 76 kg|
in Pounds- 168 lbs
Extra Ordinary Features
|Race / Ethnicity||Not Known|
|Crimes/Controversies||In 1988, an F.I.R. was registered against him at Andheri police station for assaulting his colleague over a financial issue.|
He was involved in numerous illegal activities of D-Company.
He is believed to have murdered music baron Gulshan Kumar in 1997.
His men shot Ajit Diwani, a personal secretary to film actress Manisha Koirala in January 2001.
He is also accused of trying to kill some famous Bollywood figures including Aamir Khan.
He is considered one of the accused in the 1993 Mumbai Serial Bomb Blasts.
On 16 February 2015, he was convicted in the Pradeep Jain murder case.
On 7 September 2017, TADA Court awarded him life imprisonment in the 1993 Mumbai Blast case.
Abu Salem worked in the D-Company (Dawood Ibrahim gang) as a driver transporting weapons and contraband. Later he rose among the ranks after he introduced a new strategy of hiring unemployed youths from his hometown Azamgarh to come to Mumbai, execute shoot-outs and return to Azamgarh the next day remaining untraced by the Mumbai police.
Abu Salem Net Worth
According to WoodGram, Abu Salem’s estimated Net Worth, Salary, Income, Cars, Lifestyles & many more details have been updated below. Let’s check, How Rich is Abu Salem in 2023?
|Estimated Net Worth (approx.)||55 billion INR ($0.67 billion)|
|Annual Salary||Under Assessment|
|Income Source||Gangster, Terrorist|
Noted, Currently, We don’t have enough information about Cars, Monthly/Yearly Salary, etc. We will update you soon.
Abu Salem is said to be a billionaire gangster worth Rs. 55 billion (Approx $0.67 billion). His cash and property have been valued at least Rs 10 billion, which is divided between him and his wife, Samira Jumani. While Salem stakes a claim to Rs 2 billion, his wife possesses Rs 8 billion in cash and property. Salem’s investments in Bollywood and hawala rackets are estimated to be at least another Rs 30 billion. The CBI arrived at the figures on the basis of one-years transactions (2000–2001), and are said to be a conservative estimate.
Salem possessed a non-immigrant work visa in the US, where he was employed as a maintenance manager for a marine engineering company. As he operated under different names, he could buy property worth crores, despite his employment background. Preliminary calculations by the CBI reveal transactions worth Rs 2 billion were carried out by Salem in the year 2000 itself. Details of his earlier transactions were not known as his whereabouts are not known. Police sources say that his benami but legal businesses in the Middle East are run by his close associates.
He married Samira Jumani, a college girl and a 17-year-old in 1991 from whom he has a son. Samira currently lives in Duluth, Georgia, United States. Post Salem’s arrest in Portugal, she told interviewers that he was a “violent psychotic man” and she was forced into marriage.
In September 2002, Abu Salem and his Bollywood partner Monica Bedi were arrested and served jail sentences in Portugal for entering the country on forged documents. In 2006, an Indian Court convicted Bedi for procuring a passport on a fictitious name. In November 2010, the Supreme Court of India upheld her conviction but reduced the jail term to the period that she had already served.
Abu Salem Ex-Girlfriend Monica Bedi
- Monica was born in Chabbewal, a small town in the district of Hoshiarpur, Punjab in 1975. Shortly afterward, her parents moved to Norway, where Monica spent 16 years of her life.
- Monica loved dancing, and during one of her visits to India at the age of 20, she decided to stay back to learn Kathak. It was in her dance class that she met veteran actor Manoj Kumar, who offered her a film opposite his son, Kunal. The film never took off, but her acting career did.
- Growing up, Monica was a huge fan of Sridevi. She told Filmfare in an interview that she would happily clean her brother’s room as a child because he promised her VCDs of Sridevi and Jeetendra films in return.
- In an interview with Showtime, Monica revealed that her first interaction with Abu Salem was over the phone, in 1998, when he asked her to perform at a show in Dubai. She agreed, and the phone calls kept coming. “I began getting friendly with him over the phone. At that time, he gave me a different name. I didn’t know he was Abu Salem. Actually, even if he had told me he was Abu Salem, I would’ve had no clue. I had only heard about Dawood Ibrahim and Chhota Shakeel. I’d never heard of Abu Salem,” she said.
- Reportedly, Abu used his influence and pressurized producers to give Monica a role in films like Jaanam Samjha Karo and Jodi No 1.
- Monica and Abu were very serious about each other and wanted to start a new life together. “We went to America; we both had never been there earlier. We thought we’d start all over again. His idea was to start organizing shows over there legitimately. That was his dream. Believe me, he was working really hard at it. He tried his best. But his past was something he couldn’t erase and it always caught up with him,” she told Showtime.
- Monica revealed in an interview with Showtime that her parents found out about her relationship with Abu only once they got arrested. “They live in Norway; they are totally disconnected from this part of the world. It was a major shock for them. They knew I was seeing some guy but I’d lied to them. I had told them that my boyfriend was from America; his name was Sanjay and that he was a show organizer. They kept asking to meet him but I would keep pushing that off,” she said.
- When Monica denied that she was married to Abu, insisting that it was only a long live-in relationship, he sent her a legal notice. In the notice, he said that though he would be heartbroken, he would willingly divorce her if that is what she wanted.
- Monica was a contestant on the second season of Bigg Boss and stayed in the house for three weeks before getting evicted.
- When Abu reportedly married a Mumbra-based woman, Monica had nothing but good wishes for him. “I’m happy for him and I wish him all the best in life. I still respect our relationship, but he’s moved on and so have I,” she said.
Some Known Facts About Abu Salem
- Does Abu Salem smoke:? Not Known
- Does Abu Salem drink alcohol:? Not Known
- He was born in a lower-middle-class family in a small village called Sarai Mir in Azamgarh district, Uttar Pradesh.
- He was the 3rd among 4 brothers.
- His father was a lawyer who was killed in a road accident.
- He started a small mechanic shop in his hometown Azamgarh to support his family.
- Abu Salem attended a Primary School in his village, and after passing the 12th standard, he left the village and moved to Delhi, where he started working as a taxi driver.
- In 1985, he moved to Mumbai, where he worked as a bread delivery boy.
- In 1986, he started working at a garment shop in Andheri West.
- In 1987, he became a real estate broker operating from Arasa Market in Andheri West.
- In 1988, he appeared in a Police Station for the first time after assaulting a colleague over a financial issue.
- In 1989, he came in contact with Dawood Ibrahim and started working as a driver for the D-Company. He also started delivering weapons, illegal cash and goods to different gang members in Bombay (now Mumbai).
- Doing so, he earned the nickname “Abu Samaan.”
- In 1991, he got married to Samira Jumani (a 17-year minor girl). However, he divorced her later.
- In 1992, he supplied weapons to the famous Bollywood actor, Sanjay Dutt.
- Abu Salem played an active role in the 1993 Mumbai Serial Bomb Blasts in which over 250 people were killed and more than 700 were injured.
- In 1993, he left India and moved to Dubai and started a business establishment there called “Kings of Car Trading.”
- After getting the support of Dawood’s brother Anees Ibrahim, Abu Salem rose to prominence within the D-Company.
- Because of his soft-spoken ability, he was given the responsibility to manage the film financing and Bollywood deals for Dawood.
- On 12 August 1997, he is believed to have murdered Gulshan Kumar (music baron) without Dawood’s consent. He fled Dubai, fearing Dawood’s wrath.
- In 1998, after being sidelined, he parted ways with Dawood.
- It is believed that Dawood’s favor for Chhota Shakeel was the reason behind Salem’s split with Dawood.
- In the year 2000, he planned to kidnap Milton’s owner for a ransom of 30 million INRs.
- In January 2001, Abu Salem’s men shot Manisha Koirala‘s Personal Secretary, Ajit Diwani.
- In October 2001, his men tried to target Ashutosh Gowarikar, Aamir Khan, and Jhamu Sughand. However, 2 shooters were shot down in Bandra before they could target the film personalities.
- He also tried to kill Rakesh Roshan, Rajiv Rai, and Manmohan Shetty.
- On 20 September 2002, Abu Salem was arrested along with actress Monica Bedi by the Interpol in Lisbon, Portugal.
- In February 2004, a Portugal Court cleared Salem’s extradition to India.
- In November 2005, Abu Salem and Monica Bedi were handed over to India by the Portuguese authorities on the assurance by the Government of India that the death penalty would not be sentenced. Abu Salem and Monica Bedi Arrested
- In March 2006, eight charges were filed against him in by a special TADA Court in connection with the 1993 Mumbai Serial Bomb Blasts.
- On 27 June 2013, Salem was shot by Devendra Jagtap inside Taloja Central Jail in neighboring Navi Mumbai. He sustained injuries in his hand.
- In August 2013, Punjabi singer Sukhwinder Singh Maan said that he would release a song composed by Abu Salem.
- On 16 February 2015, he was convicted in the Pradeep Jain murder case.
- His ex-wife, Samira Jumani, currently lives in Duluth, Georgia, United States.
- On 7 September 2017, a special Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Protection) Act (TADA) court awarded
- Abu Salem and Karimullah Osan Khan and death sentence to Taher Merchant and Firoz Khan.
What Happened To Abu Salem?
On 27 June 2013, Salem Was Shot By Devendra Jagtap, An Accused Person In The Shahid Azmi Murder Case Inside Taloja Central Jail In Neighbouring Navi Mumbai, The Police Said. Salem Sustained Injury To His Hand As Jagtap Fired One Round. Abu Salem Was Convicted In Pradeep Jain Murder Case On 16 February 2015.
Is Monica Bedi Married?
Monica Bedi Has Been Romantically Involved With Noted Gangster, Abu Salem. They Reportedly Had Been In A Relationship For Seven Years Or So. Abu Salem Had Always Insisted That Monica Was His Wife. However, Monica Bedi Still Maintains That It Is Only Love And Nothing Else.
How Much Is Dawood Ibrahim Worth?
Dawood Ibrahim, He Is Also Said To Be Worth About $0.67 Billion.
Where Is Dawood Ibrahim?
According To International Claims, Ibrahim Is Believed To Be Living In Pakistan And Then In The United Arab Emirates. According To Indian Claims He Has Shifted To The Pakistan-Afghanistan Border.